+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Drop Flue Pan

Default Drop Flue Pan

I,m getting ready to build me a new arch but I am having trouble trying to get someone local that can bend the flue pan. Those narrow channels pose a big problem for most machine shops. As far as making the syrup pan and the rest, it's easy going. I'm really wanting a 2'X4' drop flue pan with 8-12, 6"-8" flues(channels). Any ideas on how to come up with one? Or how to bend it?

Dave

I know you probably want to make your own but have you looked at used ones? I would think if you are paying someone (fab shop) and they don't make them every day it will end up costing more than finding one already made.
    But if you do want to have one made then I'd keep looking around because the more flues you have the more surface area and higher boiling rates with out using any more wood. you are on the right track with the amount of flues you want. 3/4" to 1" is the space you should have between them
    Keith

I wouldn't mind a good used one if the price was reasonable. One real big problem with living in central KY, there are not any used pans within a few hundred miles. I don't think the price to have the flues bent will be too bad if I can find some one to do it. I can fab the ends and TIG it myself. I've been looking for several weeks on the Internet for a good used flue pan and haven't ran across one, but I haven't given up yet.

Dave

Dave,
    Big Eddy made a brake to bend flues. Search for it on here.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Thanks for the information; the wheels are turning now. His brake was to simple, I'll have one built fairly quick.

Dave

I have made a flue pan too - it's on here somewhere as well. Sometime I'll need to post pictures of how I bent up my syrup pan with 8" sides using the same brake with a twist.
    Big_Eddy
    Eastern Ontario (Quinte)
    20+ years on a 2x3 block arch,
    Homemade 20"x64" drop flue since 2011

Build a Block Arch
    Build a Flat Pan
    Build a Flue Pan
    Sweetening the Pans
    Build a Bending Brake
    Using a Hydrotherm
    How much Sap to Sweeten?

Big Eddy
    I have been looking at your brake trying to get a good idea on how it works. Looking at your pictures it does exactly what I need. I'm a little confused though on how it works. Form the first set of pictures you show the scrap metal that you were practicing on sliding in through the back. I can understand how it bends the first bend up, much like a regular brake. But then in a later photo where you are actually fabricating the flue pan you have the SS metal in vertically. That is where I am confused.
    Dave

Maybe you can look into an amish made pan and just weld it yourself. I know a few people that have done that around here. Attached is a local price list. Might be worth asking.

Jason
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by afretired View Post
    Big Eddy
    I have been looking at your brake trying to get a good idea on how it works. Looking at your pictures it does exactly what I need. I'm a little confused though on how it works. Form the first set of pictures you show the scrap metal that you were practicing on sliding in through the back. I can understand how it bends the first bend up, much like a regular brake. But then in a later photo where you are actually fabricating the flue pan you have the SS metal in vertically. That is where I am confused.
    Dave

Dave.
    I folded an "accordian" shape. flat - down - flat - up - flat down ..... Every second bend I had to flip the sheet over. I bent all the flues first, then bent up the outside edges for the sides. I used a 4x8 sheet and the 8' made a ~ 18" wide pan with 6@5" drop flues and 9" sides

At all times - the long (unbent) end was to the front - so we were bending the long end up each time we operated the brake. (7' at the start - was hitting the ceiling)

To start, I had the sheet upside down with 12" into the brake (9"sides plus 3" flat before the first flue) I bent the material up for the drop of the first flue. Took it out of the brake and turned it over and made a second bend 5" from the first. Kept it in and brought the long portion of the sheet back level, pushed it back 1" and bent it again to form the bottom of the flue. Pulled it out, flipped it over adjusted 5" and bent it again. Brought it level, adjust 1", bend, then flip and repeat. For the second and future flue bottoms / tops, we had the previous flue down and spread over the bed of the brake from the rear (Hence the reason no bracing on the underside of the brake - a tradeoff between stiffness and access.) Once you got the pattern it was easy.

When I first built the brake - I used a piece of angle for the hold down. Once I got using it, I replaced that with a piece of 3/4" x 2" (2" vertical) with a 1" flat bar welded on the base. I needed the narrow hold down to get down in the bottom of the flues. Also - it needed to come off and on easily - not just lift slightly - once each flue was formed it needed to come off to remove the sheet.

Hope this helps.
    Big_Eddy
    Eastern Ontario (Quinte)
    20+ years on a 2x3 block arch,
    Homemade 20"x64" drop flue since 2011

Build a Block Arch
    Build a Flat Pan
    Build a Flue Pan
    Sweetening the Pans
    Build a Bending Brake
    Using a Hydrotherm
    How much Sap to Sweeten?

Big Eddy
    Thanks for the description and clarification. That cleared it up. I just couldn't get it in my mind the way you first described it and the way it looked in the picture. I have a box and pan brake but I couldn't get in shape to bend the flues. So I went to a large machine shop that we use at work who does a lot of fabrication, and they scratched their heads and wanted some time to try and check with some other shops. And here we have a guy in his garage builds a brake out of scraps laying around that you can pack under your arm that will do the job. Everyone is always looking for the difficult/complicated answer instead of the simple one. Thanks again.

Dave

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast