+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help get me into a used vacuum pump

Default Please help get me into a used vacuum pump

I have a deleval 75 and 76 but I don't run them over 18-19" as they get hot. I want to run 25-26". I'll have about 700 taps this year.

I have a neighbor who has run a surge sp 22 at 26" for many season 24/7 for days on end and makes about twice the syrup I do on a similar bush (half gallon/tap). I've been looking for SP 22's. Is that reasonable? I know I can find one for $200-$300 - but would spend more if I would be better off with a different pump. Would like to spend under a $1000, and preferably under $700. Have to save money for bigger tanks this year.

I have access to a creek for cool water, but not a heated room for the pump.

Any suggestions/leads?
    Danno
    Just West of Syracuse
    3 x 10 Lightning
    Sihi Vacuum
    Sap Bros RO
    600 taps and buying sap

Haynes Forest Products Guest

how tight is your system? do you use a releaser? Why not go with a dry vane pump?

Danno-

SP-22 are great little pumps but if you want to get 25-26" routinely its probably not the pump for you. 21 or 22" definitely achievable. I ran 21" for a few days straight last season a couple times with no problems. Change oil routinely and keep it cool and your all set. Not sure if there is anything out there other than liquid ring pumps that will acheive what you are looking for.

See what others say

Mike
    CDL 2x8
    Around 4000 taps
    Polaris ATVs, Ski Doo snowmobiles to get around
    Atlas Copco pumps
    Lapierre two post RO

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...Sugar%20shack/

danno were you running oilreclaimers on those pumps? you can get 24 with reclaimers also if you ran a 5/16 line of water on the pump head would cool the pumps down.or go with liquid ring pumps or bit the bullet and get a new claw bush pump 28 is what they say it will do
    10,000 taps and adding on vac.4 liquid ring pumps, lapierre 5x14 thunderbolt, 1800 R/O

http://s213.photobucket.com/albums/cc279/mapletime/

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Danno do you want to sell your pumps? I just got a nice 2HP motor with pullys. Im hankerin for another winter project

I check the woods daily and keep the system tight - I lose maybe an inch of vacuum between my releaser and the end of my main line - oldest tubing is now about 5 years old, with half new since last year.

Any suggestions on pump manufacturers/models that I can keep a look out. The pumps I have are on loan from my bro-in-laws old dairy farm, and I 'll probably keep them as back ups.
    Danno
    Just West of Syracuse
    3 x 10 Lightning
    Sihi Vacuum
    Sap Bros RO
    600 taps and buying sap

I know the old Delevals will pull mid 20's, I've had them up that high when the regulator froze closed. I am not currently running a reclaimer - but I recall threads on here on how to build your own - maybe I'll look into that.
    Danno
    Just West of Syracuse
    3 x 10 Lightning
    Sihi Vacuum
    Sap Bros RO
    600 taps and buying sap

A good vacuum will pay for its self. I'm sure you know that but when you say your neighbor makes twice what you do and makes .5g/tap and you have 700 taps. Take your 700 taps and at .25(where you are) that is 175 gallons of syrup. Rough math 175 X $50=$8750
    Make .5g per tap = 350X$50 =$17,500
    you get the idea. If you are like me I have medium range vac and want to get into high vac but presently need to use the money I'm making for other things like paying for the RO.
    Anyways I will get there some day
    Keith

If you get a sp22 you should be able to pull pretty good levels of vac. with my little bb2 on 250 taps I can pull 23-25" on average with a 1 hp motor. on a good day it has pulled 28almost 29" thats end to end very tight system. it all depends on atmospheric pressure etc. and I can still put put my hand on it. but on warm days I still like to point a little fan on it. You won't don't need a reclaimer with a piston pump. I change oil every 6-7 days.

the reclaimer is easy to an build though. Use an old 5 gallon epoxy can fill it with steel wool, exaust goes into the top. and line coming out the bottom into the intake side(vac side). done easy!!!
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

I had a little sp 11 pulling 23"-25" on brand new tubing last year for about 600 taps. Never had a probelm with it but the pressure would drop some on warm days. Keepin the system tight is the key. I would also like to get into the upper 20's so if you figure something out for under $1,000 let me know. Thanks

Chris
    Chris
    18 X 20 sugar shack
    1300 taps all on vac.
    2 by 8 Lapierre all stanless evaporator
    Steam Hood
    Lapierre 250 Turbo R.O.
    Polaris Ranger
    30 years experience

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast