+ Reply to Thread

Thread: supprised by the number of trees

Default supprised by the number of trees

i got around to marking my trees and was supprised to have 118 maples (sugar, red, black, silver) on 3 acres. most of them will support 2 tap's and a double handfull will support 3. i have one that forks about 3' off the ground and 4 1/2 ' up each side of the fork is over 25". most of the canopie's are 30'+ off the ground. now i guess i must figure out how many to tap because they aren't real easy to get to and i need to get an evaporator. i also have a homesteading neighbor who has 12 acres with an abundance of maple's. i could work a trade of syrup for sap, buy sap, sell sap etc. it will depend on what kind of evaporator i can get for now. may your sap be 3%....nace

HA I did the same thing when Iwent into count and mark trees I guess I lost count because I counted 150 and ended up with 250 and I still have more to go!!!
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

In my neck of the "woods" where there are maple, you can plan on around 75 per acre. I am quite fortunate that I will have a little over 6000 that run directly to my sugar house. The rest I will have to gather at two locations.
    Thad

+ Reply to Thread