+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cornell Maple webinars

Hybrid View

Default Cornell Maple webinars

By chance tonight I was looking to see what's going on at Cornell. They are going to have a series of webinars dedicated to maple information. The first one starts in three days, August 5th. It is titled "The latest in tubing research". The link to the site is this:

http://maple.dnr.cornell.edu/webinar.html

For those that have never "attended" a webinar, it is simple. I have not attended a Cornell webinar, but I have for PennState. It is free. You may have to register and get a password to participate in the webinar. If you want to participate they have a scheduled time it will be broadcasted. You need a fairly good connection speed. Usually slides are shown and a speaker explains everything. You have the capability to "ask" questions. Usually the speaker will answer all of them. The other good thing is for those that are shy or can't make the time. They record all of these. Anyone (without registering) can go online and replay the entire webinar. Usually there are accompanying files that can be downloaded also.

So give it a try! Another great place for traders to get the latest in Maple research.
    136 on high vacuum for 2019
    A&A 2X8, raised flue evaporator
    hood, parallel flow pre heater and air over fire
    12X28 sugar shack

No passwords needed. Just enter your name under guest and enter. From there they usually ask you to enter your county and state. I have attended many of Dr Peter Smallage's webinars for forestry. Very good. Since Peter is in charge also of the Cornell Maple ptogram, these may well be under his wing too.
    Dave
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I never knew about this I'm not sure I can be on during that time but I'm going to try
    Keith

Dave, were you and I the only traders on the webinar?

A good reaffirmation of the benifits of the check valve. The last few minutes were of great interest. Losses of vacuum in mainline due to friction. Not sure what it all means. Looks like if you have a lot of pipe, you don't have a lot of vacuum no matter how big of pump you have. Were talking of only hundreds of feet, not thousands.
    136 on high vacuum for 2019
    A&A 2X8, raised flue evaporator
    hood, parallel flow pre heater and air over fire
    12X28 sugar shack

The webinar was very good. I only saw about 10-12 names of participants. Seems like more would take the time. However, all is not lost. In a day or 2 it will be available from the recorded session tonight.
    Steve Childs covered his research on tubing, new check valves vs. old, in every combination. He also covered results from the silver spouts and one included a silver drop. He tested both vac and gravity and showed parallel test results (trees had 2 taps, one of one description and a second of something else each on separate laterals, with each lat having 5-6 taps and then into a collection canister, all on vacuum. The gravity set ups were into plastic drums, one per lateral. Some very interesting results and some good knowledge for making more profit. He gave a cost vs increased income for many tests. Check it out.
    I now have re affirmed I will use all new check valves AND new drops on the vac but for gravity the jury is out. I might even do the silver for gravity.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I participated in the webinair last night, although I was trying to eat supper at the same time. it looked very interesting, and I'm going back to watch it again when I can. I saw the future dates are posted on their web,and I'll try
    to participate on them, I'm not sure about everything with the chat,and things,but like every thing computer, I 'll just keep trying.
    115 red maples on vacuum
    100 taps on 5/16 gravity
    35 taps on 3/16 gravity
    50 taps on shurflo vacuum
    about 60 buckets on giant roadside sugars
    neighbor bringing from 45 taps
    30'x 8' Aof/Auf Evaporator
    Homemade 125gph Ro
    Lots of Homemade Equipment!

http://s848.photobucket.com/albums/a...%20Sugarshack/

Default Webinar

I participated also.Good research on the hot topic over the past year or so:check valves and the antimicrobial spiles.Nice to go to class without leaving the house!
    625 Taps on Vacuum
    2 1/2 x 8 Dallaire
    200 Mempro Tec RO
    Lapierre tanks and Filter press

+ Reply to Thread