+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sugar House for 2011

You mean an ashpan such as found on a wood stove? I didn't realize archs had them...maybe somebody with a smaller unit will chime in.
    Bob- 4 x 12 Small Bros. Lightning w/raised flues-open pans
    20 x 40 sugarhouse, all tubing-main line to sugarhouse
    1400+- for 2011 & 100% vacuum
    Polaris 500 HO w/Tatou 4s Tracks
    1 Chocolate Lab from TEXAS

I've never seen an arch with an ash pan.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Does your arch have a blower fan? If so the guy was probably right. When I run mine there's no ash to remove even after a full day of boiling. If I don't run the fan then there's definitely an ash/coal build up.
    Homemade 2X4 w/Flat Pan
    50 taps....but always looking to expand
    Mostly box elders with a scattering of red, silver, & sugar maples
    Allis Chalmers C & Homemade Sap Sled

I have never seen a commercially made arch with an ash pan. I just scoop the ashes out as need, usually every other firing or so.
    Jeff Emerson
    www.emersonsmaplehill.com
    3x12 Leader with over air, custom piggyback, 600gph CDL RO
    2500 on 25" vacuum
    350 4 wheeler, 500 snowmobile, and 1950's Ford 600 tractor, Husqvarna! (261, 372xpBigBore, 562xp), Stihl MS193 for in tree work

Hey - why not go all the way - V shape the bottom of the fire box - with a grate over the top for the ashes to fall thru - then have a water jet in front at the bottom of the V and an opening at the back of the V and when needed turn on the water jet and sluice the ashes out the back of the fire box. Hummmmmmm -- have to do some more thinking on this - now the wet ash mess is on the sugar shack floor and it is below freezing outside and we are not in an Electric Power Plant with an ash removal system - Hey stick to the ash pan and I'll plod on with my little hoe and shovel -------

I guess what I am saying that my fire box dose not have a bottom, only grates. I was just wondering if that is how some of them are. This is a new evaperator, and I just need to understand how it works.
    Maple Ridge Sugar House
    230 taps for 2016
    12 X 16 Sugar House.
    20 X 66 CDL Evaperator.
    A good Wife that enjoys collecting and working in the sugar house.

Most do not have bottoms, merely sit on the concrete floor. The ashes are shoveled off the floor. I clean mine each morning before I start a fire.

Please excuse me and my bad water jet idea - Mine is a home made rig ----- 2'x5' - from a 250 gal. fuel oil tank and has a bottom lined with fire brick and I have a clean out door on it. I didn't realize some of the commercial rigs had no enclosed botton - just grates. I can see where that could be a problem. Also - if you run into some trouble - no way to control the excessive draft. ----- Mike

Im confused ( as usuall) but what commercial rig has no area under the grates that isnt enclosed or have a draft door on it if its wood burning. I have never seen a rig without out it, homemade or not. The ashes need to go somewhere and the draft needs to enter somewhere doesn't it? This makes no sense to me.
    2X6 deluxe Phanuef
    Adding 200 more every year
    27 years left of building a Hobby into a retirement time burner.

Mapleridge, your arch sits on a cement pad. You should have a draft door? The space from the floor to the grates acts as your ash box. Can you post a pic?
    Bob- 4 x 12 Small Bros. Lightning w/raised flues-open pans
    20 x 40 sugarhouse, all tubing-main line to sugarhouse
    1400+- for 2011 & 100% vacuum
    Polaris 500 HO w/Tatou 4s Tracks
    1 Chocolate Lab from TEXAS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast