+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sugar House for 2011

Default Sugar House for 2011

I had a 12 X 16 slab poured in April with a drain in the floor and a drain pipe for a sink. July 2nd I had the cement blocks laid 2 high. Left an opening for a 4' sliding door and a 3' entry door. Yesterday I ordered some of the lumber from a local saw mill; hope to get it this weekend. (Awfully hot to be cutting lumber). I hope to get started on the frame work the week of July 12th. If I can figure out how to post my pics, I will load them. I plan on a 10 / 12 pitch for a roof.
    Maple Ridge Sugar House
    230 taps for 2016
    12 X 16 Sugar House.
    20 X 66 CDL Evaperator.
    A good Wife that enjoys collecting and working in the sugar house.

Git R done!!!
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

My 24x26 pad is being poured this saturday. Cant wait until everything is done.

24 X 26. Nice. What size evaperator.
    I have a question for anyone out there. I will be buying a new evaperator this fall. I am undecided on a drop flue or a raised flue. What would be best. I like the idea of drop flue because the heat area, but you need to remove the pan to drain it. A raised flue, you draw off the bottom, no removing the pan to drain. Any Coments on this?
    Last edited by Maple Ridge; 07-08-2010 at 12:56 PM.
    Maple Ridge Sugar House
    230 taps for 2016
    12 X 16 Sugar House.
    20 X 66 CDL Evaperator.

most if not all drop flue pans have a drain pipe at the bottom of the flues, so you can drain without removing the pan.
    Jeff Emerson
    www.emersonsmaplehill.com
    3x12 Leader with over air, custom piggyback, 600gph CDL RO
    2500 on 25" vacuum
    350 4 wheeler, 500 snowmobile, and 1950's Ford 600 tractor, Husqvarna! (261, 372xpBigBore, 562xp), Stihl MS193 for in tree work

I had an old drop flue Leader that didn't have any way to drain the flues. All I did was use 2 or 3 pieces of lateral tubing and syphoned it out. An evaporator with a flue drain is sure nice.

Jim
    12 x 16 Sugarhouse, 12 x 16 Woodshed
    2 x 8 “The Mutt” Evaporator with Marcland Drawoff
    Leader oil fired arch, Dallaire raised flue, Smoky Lake syrup pan and hoods with pre-heater
    New Leader Clear Filter Press/Air Diaphragm Pump
    5” Hand Pump Filter Press from Daryl-One of the first three! On loan to a friend.
    Deer Run 250 gal/hr RO
    A Very Understanding Wife
    "At any time during the day you're only 10 seconds from disaster!"

Concrete is on hold until next week. Due to flash flood warnings for the next 12 hours. I am buying a 4x14 Hurricane Force 5 with all of the bells and whistles. Got the green light to order it . The USDA approved my FSA loan today. Obama is writing me a personal check,but i have to give him the first gallon of syrup i pour off in 2011. lol.....

Gee Randy glad we could help pay for your new evaporator. lol Atleast the money is going for something that can be appreciated. Also I am pretty ositive any reputable drop flue manufacture now adds a drain and have for a few yearss on drop flue pans. It works like a charm and the only time I pull my flue pan is at the end of the season for an outside flue cleansing.
    Last edited by 3rdgen.maple; 07-09-2010 at 09:57 PM.
    2X6 deluxe Phanuef
    Adding 200 more every year
    27 years left of building a Hobby into a retirement time burner.

Default Drop vs raised

Quote Originally Posted by Maple Ridge View Post
    24 X 26. Nice. What size evaperator.
    I have a question for anyone out there. I will be buying a new evaperator this fall. I am undecided on a drop flue or a raised flue. What would be best. I like the idea of drop flue because the heat area, but you need to remove the pan to drain it. A raised flue, you draw off the bottom, no removing the pan to drain. Any Coments on this?
    One advantage is you only need one float since the sap/syrup levle is the same across both pans. i don't have draines in mine so it is harder to empty but a siphon tubes work ok
    Greg Halladay
    Modified D&G 18" x 7' oil fired arch
    with 18"x 4' 5" drop flue back pan, and 18"x3' front pan, new 20' x 32' sugar house built in 2013, 375 taps in 2016 using a Sap Puller.

Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking about a 2X4, but now I think I will just do it and go for the 2X6. My walls are up and are in the process of putting on the boards. Hope to be putting up the rafters by next week. So much to do, and work too. I am glad I got started early. I need to get the evaperator on order soon.
    Maple Ridge Sugar House
    230 taps for 2016
    12 X 16 Sugar House.
    20 X 66 CDL Evaperator.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast