+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Price per gallon

Quote Originally Posted by LawnMowerMan View Post
    Well I am a firm believer in "charging what the market will bear" With all the studies that are comming out about how many great vitamins and minerals are in Maple syrup, you should be getting ALOT more than $35-45.00 A GALLON.

Heck package it up and sell to the health food nuts. Heck my sister said the grade b dark dark, smelly stuff sells for a small fortune in the health food store she goes too. Or I guess ill have to get some chura fungus and boil that with the sap. The guy that sells that online sells 8oz of that for $32.00

I guess I would rather put it in small fancy bottles and sell to tourists.......ohhh I live in a perfect place for that, we have all kinds of rich tourists that come to West Michigan each year.

Oh and "jmayerl" being in business for myself, the more they beg the higher the price

I guess from the research I have done, being there are not alot of local guys around here I will probably be able to get more for mine next year.

I have to say one thing the stuff I made this year ended up getting me a ton of new business in my day job "lawn care" I gave out quite a few 8oz bottles as gifts to prospective customers, always nice to drop off a bid and a gift............lol I figure I have picked up about 5 grand worth of work I did not have last year and I owe it in some small part to the maple syrup I gave as a gift.
    Yep - You guys on the West Side of the Lower get the Rich Tourists out of Chicago - All they gotta do is find Lake Michigan and head North spending their money as they go - On the other hand - We - your poor cousins on the East Side of the Lower suffer ---- Oh we have Rich Tourists and they find Lake Huron and follow it North - but - We also have that darn Tourist Trap called THE THUMB - they get up into The Thumb - get confused - spend all their money and head home and we never see them or their money..... Mike

WVM, In New York syrup is not taxable regardless of where it is sold. It is a food and foods are not taxed unless you are selling a single (or multiple of singles) serving for consumption. For ex. A diner serving breakfast with syrup charges tax, but the whole jug is non taxable. That being said, I also have a farm sales tax exemption form I use to buy anything for the farming operation making purchases tax exempt. I just file a blanket form with each dealer and the sale is not taxed, a new form is not needed with each sale. The dealer just needs a form on file in case they get audited on their sales taxes collected. I think there is a renewal needed every several years on the form (or dealers just get a new one signed periodically.)
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I charge the following and have had no complaints. I charged the same amount last year.
    Gal. $55
    1/2 Gal. $32
    Qt. $18
    Pt. $10
    1/2 Pt. $6
    100ml. $3

Candy $1.50/oz.
    1022 taps, 846 on tubing
    3x8 Small Bros. raised flue with preheater
    2002 Foreman S atv with 35 gal tank on it
    Grimm finishing propane rig
    DeWalt 14.4 cordless drill
    325 gal. gathering tank on F-350 4x4

I get more than most people but I have sold all I want to and could have sold more but I want to keep some for my own use.
    I charge the following:
    Gallon $60
    Half gallon $35
    Quart $20
    Pint $12
    Half pint $8
    100ml plastic jug $5
    50ml glass maple leaf $4
    Next year I will be able to sell all I make again. I live in yuppievile so I can charge these prices.
    Last edited by Farmboy; 05-05-2010 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Spelling
    02 F350 powerstroke and 89 Toyota 4X4 5 speed sap haulers
    16X16 sugar shack
    30"X8' raised flue GH Grimm evaporator Smoky Lake Maple front pan!
    Sthil MS 460, 026 (2), 009, husky 61, 365, 272, and a 42
    2009 41 taps, 2010 72 taps on a barrel evapotator all buckets, 2011 151 taps 34 buckets 117 taps on tubing.

MapleFlats keep that info quiet i dont think Patterson is aware of this no tax on maple just yet. Hope he does not read the trader. lol
    2X6 deluxe Phanuef
    Adding 200 more every year
    27 years left of building a Hobby into a retirement time burner.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456