+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Price per gallon

Quote Originally Posted by bison1973 View Post
    The Wisconsin guys should chime in and tell what they charge. For some reason most here like to give it away.
    Thats right I try to sell mine for $42.00 a gal and people tell me its to high. I know others that are selling gallons for $38.00 and $39.00 and a amish guy 15 miles from me sells his for $20.00 a gallon!

Here in North-East to Mid-East Michigan the prices seem about the same -retail. However - the last couple of years - the Maple Syrup seems to sit on the shelves - where in years past it would go quick and be hard to find. I'm thinking - at least in Michigan - the unemployment is so high and many are working at lower paying jobs - that people are going without certain things - maple syrup being one of them. This year seems to be a low production year for maple syrup - so - if in short supply - even in hard times - the maple syrup should start to move off the shelves-------

sapsucker78, Can you get me info on the Amish who sell for $20/gal? Do they make quality syrup? Do they sell bulk? I ran out at $54/gal with most packed in $16 qts, some $29 half gal. I sold out from preorders before the season, but this was a very poor year to say the least. I also sold out in April last year with $49 Gal and $15 qts, a fair year. Also sold out in May in 08 with $45 gal and $14 qts and that was my record production year, made 186 gal on 525 taps gravity.
    You guys who sell too cheap are just hurting yourselves and the industry. In fact in 08 in my record year I was the highest price in my area by about $3/gal, I sold out and the others didn't. What does that tell you. Have I ever had anyone say the price was too high, Of course but it is extremely are they don't buy and they come back to buy again and again.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

By the way, I have a poster on my sugarhouse wall from Cornell about the price of maple entitled "How much would you charge?" or something like that. It goes into detail how much is involved in making a gallon of syrup, from thinning the bush to tapping, to collecting (in buckets by the way) to hauling to filtering the sap, boiling and every other aspect. It then ends with the question, How much would you charge? Anyone who comments on the high price (and very few do) is shown the poster, most buy after reading it with no more high price comments. You must realize, pure maple IS a luxury. Most people will pay more for a luxury than they will for a necessity.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Hey Maple Flats - No argument from me about the price - I just make it for family and a few friends. But - for all the work involved - I would want at least two hundred a gallon if I was selling it. ----- Mike

Maple Flats,
    I do agree with you 100% but that don't stop my locals from telling me the next guy down the road will sell syrup for less! The other day some one ordered 48 glass quarts from me and then backed out because he could get from somone else for $9.00 a quart!!! Thats not all this buyer was a retired syrup maker!! I thought he should have remembered the amount of work that goes into it!!

Many people here in Wisonsin will actuallly sell syrup retail for less than what they could get in bulk.

Quote Originally Posted by bison1973 View Post
    Many people here in Wisonsin will actuallly sell syrup retail for less than what they could get in bulk.
    Yes this is very common in my area also.
    Jon
    2 1/8 x 8 Leader Inferno Arch W/ steamaway , hood and Marcland auto drawoff
    M6040 Kubota w/ cab and lift
    Arctic Cat Prowler
    http://jwhitjw.spaces.live.com/photo...D0BF1C18E!116/

This is also common here. But you see I don't buckel and I sell out. After I add vac next year and add 350 more taps I likely won't sell out but I think I will stay towards the top pricewise and sell bulk for the rest except for saving some for hard times ahead along with year round sales. I haven't had any for Christmas sales since 07. Right now to be exact, I have 1 pt dark amber, and 11 qts extra dark for cooking (which people have been buying for table) and 1 half gal Xdark. So essentially I have sold out. What remains is also going fairly fast. I Think I will be at absolute zero before June 1. The xdark for cooking (B) I sell for $50/gal, $28/half and $15/qt, just to sell retail and not need to go bulk.

Mark,

I have an agricultural business license as maple syrup is under agriculture in WV and I assume most if not all other states. At least in WV, you don't have to charge sales tax since it is an agricultural product as long as you the producer is selling the product. Stores have to charge the sales tax as they are not the agricultural producer.

Get an agricultural tax license if you don't have one. You are also sales tax exempt on all purchases for syrup equipment, etc. Comes in handy as it saved me taxes on my new tractor a few years ago and lots of other purchases including the wood splitter I purchased a couple weeks ago.

Also, the agricultural business license is free vs paying $ 30 every 2 years for any other business license.
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast