+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Price per gallon

$ 13 @ quart and pints are $ 7.50. That is the only sizes I sell in and can hardly ever sell any other sizes. Price per container is same whether you buy one, four or eight, so a gallon is $ 52 in quarts and $ 60 in pints and yes, some people buy a gallon or more in pints.
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

Brandon,
    I've sold them both ways, if the customer is a repeat customer I sometimes give them a small break if they buy 4 quarts or 8 pints at a time. I have one person that I need to jug up 5 gallons for. They buy every year and always that amount, I'll knock 2 dollars off per jug because they have been a very good customer. I feel sure they would pay the extra 10 dollars for the five gallons but I have always treated them that way and hope I can always make plenty of syrup to continue giving them a break in the future.

Mark 220 Maple
    1100 taps on low vaccum, 900 on gravity.
    900 plus taps leased and on high vacuum
    35 cfm Indiana Liquid Ring Vacuum Pump
    80% Sugar, 20% Red MAPLES
    http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...Maple%20Syrup/

Haynes Forest Products Guest

I remember seeing a small tin of syrup at the Royal Gorge in colo and I picked it up and saw the price I noticed the bottom was all scratched and shinny from it being put back on the shelf. I like selling in glass 1/2 gallons I get $25 for them.

Quart 16, pint 9, glass 12oz 10, glass 8oz 7 sell out every year and like Brandon it does not matter if you buy one or twenty that is the price. No complaints yet.
    2X6 deluxe Phanuef
    Adding 200 more every year
    27 years left of building a Hobby into a retirement time burner.

Quote Originally Posted by ADKMAPLE View Post
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come on, this cant be true. Has anyone figured out their hourly wage per gallon of syrup yet? And I am not talking about simply standing there boiling it.

All the time from cutting/splitting wood through the whole ordeal until you draw off a gallon? It has to be pennies on the gallon!
    man if I could charge for labor and what I spent for my first year Last year...for get it.

my father in-law asked how many gallons would I have to sell just to break even....I just laughed
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

Mark,

Sometimes I give them a little discount if they buy a bunch or have been buying a bunch every year for years. I went from $ 12 to $ 13 on quarts this year and $ 7 to $ 7.50 for pints.

It is $ 20 a quart in Krogers and around $ 18 in Walmart and they have to charge sales tax on top of that and I don't since I am agricultural producer, so as far as I am concerned, mine is a bargain anyways compared to theirs. Besides, people know where mine comes from!
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

Brandon,
    I agree we are not over priced by any standard. I bit the bullet and went and got a tax number recently. What I was surprised to discover that Maple Syrup is not a food product. The tax on syrup is 6% vs 3% for other food items. The official at the tax office in Martinsburg said syrup is considered a condiment. GO FIGURE? I had the county health inspector scratching his head at the festival last weekend when I told him Maple Syrup was not a food product according to the state tax dept. I know the inspectors don't knock our doors down. Which is ok by me. but if its not a food product what business do they have looking even if they were asked to look?

Mark 220 Maple
    1100 taps on low vaccum, 900 on gravity.
    900 plus taps leased and on high vacuum
    35 cfm Indiana Liquid Ring Vacuum Pump
    80% Sugar, 20% Red MAPLES
    http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...Maple%20Syrup/

Haynes Forest Products Guest

So is Milk a condement when you put it on Corn Flakes?

I did a little checking to find what people are charging a while back and I came up with $14 for a quart and $8 for a pint. That makes it $56 and $64 per gal.

I have 1/2 pints but I have had no one interested in that size.

To me this is a hobby that I am trying to make enought to pay for the toys that go along with the hobby. I have had quit a few hobbies that just gobbled up $$, lots of fun but it took a ton of $$. Like auto racing, tires, brakes, gas, oil, helmet every few years.
    1st Generation Hobby Maple Producer, you got to start somewhere.
    222 Taps, all on Vacuum! No more buckets.
    Lapierre 2'x5' raised flue w/Hood and Preheater
    Surge SP11, Lapierre Hobby Releaser
    Modified 5" Filter Press made by Daryl with a Gear Pump
    Homemade 2 membrane RO
    Kabota RTV Sap Hauler

Hardy's Maple Syrup on Facebook

Default Wisconsin

The Wisconsin guys should chime in and tell what they charge. For some reason most here like to give it away.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast