+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Relocating to Ohio

Default Relocating to Ohio

Hello new neighbors,
    I am moving to Ohio in may. I will be working in the Lordstown-Warren area south east of Clevland. Do any of you know of a home to rent within 45 minutes of this area? I would prefer a home with a country setting or on a quite city street in a low traffic area. Last question...does this area get plenty of snow for snowmobiling?
    Thank you
    Roger

Go to Craigslist in Ohio and pop in the Younstown area, with just 30 seconds of looking I saw 2 in the Warren area
    Success is not final,failure is not fatal.It is courage to continue that really counts

“I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.”

– Thomas Edison

We get enough snow each year to snowmobile for maybe two or three days. sometimes for longer but not very often. Now if you go more North toward the Lake then they get alot more snow and they can keep it too.
    600 taps
    3'x8' Dellair evaporator

Oh no, leaving the snowmobile capital to head to Ohio? Snowmobiling? We get snow here, last year was the best in quite a while. The problem is we don't have the trail systems. From the youngstown area though you can travel to Pennsylvania and ride there. From youngstown to lets say Marienville, Pa would be about an hour and a half maybe two hours away. They have trail systems there. Grooming is nothing like Michigan though. Don't need any special permits, just get your sled(s) registered in Ohio and have insurance and your good to go. As far as places to rent, craigs list, also check with the local real estate agents in the area. Some of them do property management. Lordstown? GM Plant?

I am up in the snow belt which is pretty much Ashtabula and Geauga counties. The last couple of winters have been decent for snowmobilers here I think. However, there can be years when snowfalls are few and far between. Its amazing how when you drive south out of here and hit Trumbull county its like a different world with far less snow.
    1000 taps on vac down to 100+ buckets 99% sugars
    2x5 SL Hi-Output Raised Flue Corsair evaporator
    SL Short bank press with CDL diaphragm pump
    Leader Micro 1 RO for 2024
    Constantly changing
    2010:36 gal 2011:126 gal 2012:81 gal 2013:248 gal 2014: 329.5 gal 2015:305 gal 2016:316 gal 2017:258 gal 2018:147 gal 2019:91 gal 2020:30 gal 2021:30 gal 2023:50 gal Total since 2010: 2047.5 gal
    Tapping the same trees my great, great and great grandfathers tapped.

Quote Originally Posted by wanting to get into it View Post
    Oh no, leaving the snowmobile capital to head to Ohio? Snowmobiling? We get snow here, last year was the best in quite a while. The problem is we don't have the trail systems. From the youngstown area though you can travel to Pennsylvania and ride there. From youngstown to lets say Marienville, Pa would be about an hour and a half maybe two hours away. They have trail systems there. Grooming is nothing like Michigan though. Don't need any special permits, just get your sled(s) registered in Ohio and have insurance and your good to go. As far as places to rent, craigs list, also check with the local real estate agents in the area. Some of them do property management. Lordstown? GM Plant?
    Yes it is the Lordstown GM plant I am headed to.

I am glad the kept that plant up and running. I am about half way between that plant and the Ontario plant that is shutting down. Hate to see that many people out of work. As far as snowmobiling, better plan on heading back to Michigan to ride. That is what we do, load up and head north. Unless it is just a weekend getaway. Can't go to NY with the pipes. Yes I could take it off and put stock on. What fun is that though? It isn't even loud, just not stock. I have had enough tickets. Can't match Michigan anyway. Good thing they have good snowmobile trails, we know they don't have good college football

[QUOTE=wanting to get into it;111602]I am glad the kept that plant up and running. I am about half way between that plant and the Ontario plant that is shutting down. Hate to see that many people out of work. As far as snowmobiling, better plan on heading back to Michigan to ride. That is what we do, load up and head north. Unless it is just a weekend getaway. Can't go to NY with the pipes. Yes I could take it off and put stock on. What fun is that though? It isn't even loud, just not stock. I have had enough tickets. Can't match Michigan anyway. Good thing they have good snowmobile trails, we know they don't have good college football[/Q

What is the deal in New York with pipes? Do they actually check under your hood when you cross the border or just when you are being obnoxious?

They have check points throughout the trail system. Much like you have at sobriety check points with your car. You will come upon them right on the trail. Yes, they make you open up the hood and they check out your sled. This past winter friends of mine were up there and went through one checkpoint and two hours later came upon another. The same set of officers conducting this one as the other. The reason for this is, the trails will go right next to houses and through private property. You will see going down the trail where they actually take the fence down to allow the snowmobiles to cut through the property. Problem I saw with this in most cases you really have to watch, some places the posts are still in the ground sticking up a foot or so. Also, you will be riding along and where they cut through the trail will go from 20ft wide and narrow down to 6 to 8 ft wide without warning. Just a bad scenario for me, pipes, pricks to deal with, trail conditions, the cost to ride there(permits) unless you join a club there. I will keep going to Michigan. Unless there is snow in PA. This is just my opinion, keep that in mind. You could probably talk to people and they will have the opposite opinion as me. I don't feel I am one of those (obnoxious) riders. I ride the "conditions". I like to go fast, sometimes and always within reason. I like my can, just for that little deeper rumble than the stock.

+ Reply to Thread