+ Reply to Thread

Thread: cottage industry bill

Default cottage industry bill

This new bill passed in Michigan allows up to $15,000 worth of certain food products can be sold and made in a home kitchen, rather than a separate commercial kitchen as before. I'm wondering if that would include maple cream, sugar and candy? The confusion for me is the maple syrup is made in a licensed facility, so can that syrup then be transferred to the home and processed? Also, would the $15,000 limit include the syrup value too?

Good question. I would discuss with my local Ag Inspetor that if syrup made in a lisc. facility it is no diferent than useing store bought milk,sugar,flour and eggs to make a cake or cookies to sell. Maple cream could be an issue because of the need to refridgerate but still no health hazzard. A phone call is cheap info. The syrup cost is part of production cost just like buying flour milk and eggs to make a product not dollar of sales. Just my thoughts with no offical Gov input.

One of the limitations in the bill is that whatever you sell cannot be sold over the internet, mail order, or to wholesalers.

Here is the link from the Department of Ag: http://www.michigan.gov/documents/md...R_327558_7.pdf

+ Reply to Thread