+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reaming Results

Default Reaming Results

As promised

Reaming study results

Let me provide a baseline first:
    ---taps originally drilled about 4 weeks earlier (7/16 standard spile)
    ---two weeks without freeze, some highs in 60’s
    ---all sugar maple roadside trees (buckets)
    ---reamed 1/64 bigger and less than 1/8 deeper
    ---hard freeze (low teens) just after reaming
    ---study included 125+ taps (100 reamed, 25 unreamed)

Collected 400+ gallons over an 8 day period from 100 reamed holes. (Of the 25 unreamed holes only three had a bottom full of sap 24 hours after reaming and then nothing else.) No correlation to direction, 10 holes faced north, 5 south ,4 east and 6 west

Same tree reamed vs undreamed
    ---Reamed holes provided sap immediately upon reaming. Unreamed holes on same tree provided nothing. Again, no correlation to direction. North facing taps produced just as well as south facing taps once reamed.

Sugar content (on three different trees) showed:
    Before hard freeze after reaming- 1.2, 1.0, 1.6
    After hard freeze- 2.0, 2.2, 2.4
    Week after freeze-1.1, 0.9, 1.2

Grade of syrup produced after 2-3 weeks of 60 degree days
    ---Even after cleaning all tanks and evaporator, produced B grade the whole time.

Conclusion
    -- definitely worth it if the weather is right. Not saying I would do it every year but this year almost 10 gallons of syrup from 100 taps over an 8 day period. Again, this was only done on buckets to provide worse case, I would expect better results from a vacuum system after reaming.
    Algier 2x6
    Around 2500 taps
    Polaris ATVs, Ski Doo snowmobiles to get around
    Sp-22 power and lots of tanks
    Lapierre 600 RO

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...Sugar%20shack/

Haynes Forest Products Guest

MW You need Clan to do a spread sheet on this. Good info thanks

Default Thanks

Thanks for taking the time to do the research and for publishing it. I still wonder if reaming is worth the effort or not for two reasons. First there is other research that says it is not worth doing. Second, I had trees tapped for 4 weeks and when the weather was perfect for sap runs, they really ran good. I had 4 days of perfect weather in the last days of the season and had two trees producing a gallon and a half one day and filling the 4 gallon pail the next day. The next two days they did that same cycle. Now if I had happened to ream the holes on those two trees I would have come to the conclusion that reaming holes is a great idea. Or it could have gone the other way if I had them as trees I didn't ream. I'm not trying to put down your research, just saying the weather is really important. Thanks again for the research.
    First year 2009
    18 taps on 12 trees
    boiled in 3 gal. pot on electric stove in garage
    111 taps on 93 trees
    boiling in 200 gal. stainless tank, wood fire
    3 sided sugar shack

Haynes Forest Products Guest

I think because he had 2 taps in the same tree it eliminates most of the doubt about weather or happenstance

There were actually 5 trees where one tap was reamed and another was not. 2 faced north, 2 south and one east. All had the same results.

TF Maple- please see my conclusion. I acknowledge weather is everything in this hobby. My feeling is that there is a time and place for everything-this seemed like a good year to try reaming.

To be clear-not trying to sway people either way, just communicating some numbers from admittedly a down and dirty unscientific data set study that alot of people have pm'd me looking for.

Enjoy

Mike
    Last edited by Maplewalnut; 04-05-2010 at 11:16 AM.
    Algier 2x6
    Around 2500 taps
    Polaris ATVs, Ski Doo snowmobiles to get around
    Sp-22 power and lots of tanks
    Lapierre 600 RO

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...Sugar%20shack/

My 2 cents: To Ream or note to ream that is the question

I had never reamed a tap hole in the almost 50 years of making syrup. This year I did.
    We had made 63 gallons up to March 20 and 21 Our open house weekend. Weather was way to warm all buckets had stopped. Sap run on Friday March 19 was 170 gallons off 500 taps. Not good!

Sunday night March 21 I decided to scrub all the gathering containers and rinse them. March 22 I chose to ream all the tap holes. What the heck I did not have anything else going on! Sap sure wasn't running, temp was 60 ish. I got 400 done that night. It froze that night. Next day I reamed and gathered the remaining 100 taps and gathered the rest. Not a great run but better than I expected. Next run was the most we had all year of 410 gallons.
    We made another 41 gallons of syrup after the taps were reamed and I think at least 50% of that was due to reaming the tap holes.
    I would agree that it is somewhat weather related. I did not do a trial of some areas not reamed.

Did we pull a rabbit out of the hat! Or just luck of the weather?

Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    600 roadside taps
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors

www.mapleandhoney.com

Maplewalnut, I also benefited by reaming. I tapped late this year and used all new tree saver spouts and adapters along with new drop lines so I thought I would be all right. After last Friday nights deep freeze I couldn't believe I had no flow. So late Saturday I reamed all my holes 1/64 larger and about 1/4" deeper. Before I could put the spouts back in, most holes were running. I collected another 100+ gallons of sap in the next few days. This saved the season for me. Although not a great season at least it wasn't a disaster. Under the right circumstances I would ream again.
    Paul
    2x3 Patrick Phaneuf pan
    Homemade arch
    100+ taps
    Sugar Shack in future
    Wife into it as much as me
    Also do homebrew

http://s928.photobucket.com/albums/ad121/ZMANSYRUP/

Reaming tap holes is worth it if you have the weather! This is the second time I reamed holes and it paid off both times. But you need to time it with the weather. right be for a freeze. We collected 6000 gal of sap after reaming off of 2700 that we reamed. I was picking up buckets yesterday and some of the buckets that where reamed were full.

Dave Y- how was your season with the new rig?
    Eric Johnson
    Tucker Mountain Maple Co-op
    1400 taps in 2013
    2.5 x 8 CDL pellet arch and Smokey Lake pans
    Lapierre 600 RO
    Member of Andover/Salisbury Maplehaulics anonymous
    www.tuckermtn.com
    pALS

Maple Walnut, thanks for posting

Reaming did not work for me. I reamed about 85 out of 96. I did it 2 or 3 days before the hard freeze. About 60% of those were reds. That may have been part of the problem. I have found that there comes a point when they just quit producing. Also my temps were higher than most of you guys. If you were in the 60's, I was in the 70's. Overall less than 4.5 gal. of sap per tap hole for the entire season.
    136 on high vacuum for 2019
    A&A 2X8, raised flue evaporator
    hood, parallel flow pre heater and air over fire
    12X28 sugar shack

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast