+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Tapping trees other than maples

I remembered this discussion when I ran across some info while researched something completely unrelated. Apparently palm trees are also regularly "tapped" in Southeast Asia. Palm trees produce about 2 1/2 gallons of sap per day and the season lasts for 5 months or longer but you can only tap once every five years and... you must climb to the top of each one to collect the sap.

More info is available HERE

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by BryanEx View Post
    I remembered this discussion when I ran across some info while researched something completely unrelated. Apparently palm trees are also regularly "tapped" in Southeast Asia.
    We had some visitors at the UVM Proctor Center a couple of years ago from SE Asia. Apparently they cut the top off the inforescence (flower), and that weeps sap. They need to collect fairly regularly, otherwise the sap ferments quickly in the hot temperatures. The sap is very sweet, something like 10-15 brix, so doesn't take a lot of boiling. The palm syrup tasted OK....not at all like maple, and definitely had a hint of ferment in it.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

i made syrup from boxelders a couple years ago and it sure was different i dont have a hydrometer i just go by sight and taste for syrup but the stuff i made was incredibly sweet and liquidy but takes forever to boil... it also smells funny and has this wierd white powder but i am going to try it again this year
    7000 taps on vacuum, just trying to get a little better every year.

I thought I would revive this post from last year to see if anyone has tried tapping walnut trees or any other odd trees and boiling the sap down to make syrup? If someone got a tasty product let me know.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234