+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Value Of Maple Trees

Default Value Of Maple Trees

Hi everyone,the government has decided to spend some more of our tax dollars "realigning" the highway next to our sugarbush,so the city folk can drive even faster on a straight stretch of road,so they are removing about 20 taps of our maples in mature trees.What kind of value can you put on a tappable maple.Thay are offering us peanuts for the bit of land of course,but the maples will not be replaced in my lifetime.We are going to the lawyer later on this month,and it would be good to show her figures.
    Thanks

I know for eminant domain issues in VT you need to show what level of income they would produce in perpetuity and discount it for current value. So if those 20 trees produce 25 gallons of syrup per year, at $40 per gallon, and assuming you could reasonably get 25 years of production out of them and that syrup prices grow at 6% per year the income generated by those 20 trees would be about $4300 per year in 25 years. What you need to decide is some happy medium. Lets say over the next 25 years you receive an average income of roughly $2000 from those trees, what present value would adequately compensate you for that loss of income?
    A new generation of sugarmaker

Making Syrup with friends on a 2x6 and too many taps

Default trees

the heck with that, I would not even mention the tapping of them and tell them that they are vaneer hard maple trees and you are waiting for them to get alittle bigger but if they ahve to come down, I would get $1,500/mbf and that there are 10mbf in there so $15,000..then once taken down, use them for firewood

I would strap myself and family to those trees when they come to cut them. No money can make up for the enjoyment a maple tree gives me or my family especially not for a road.
    2X6 deluxe Phanuef
    Adding 200 more every year
    27 years left of building a Hobby into a retirement time burner.

Quote Originally Posted by adk1 View Post
    the heck with that, I would not even mention the tapping of them and tell them that they are vaneer hard maple trees and you are waiting for them to get alittle bigger but if they ahve to come down, I would get $1,500/mbf and that there are 10mbf in there so $15,000..then once taken down, use them for firewood
    that's a one-shot deal, though. the syrup production value could be a bit higher, in terms of total value, since each year's total contributes to the bottom line. on the other hand, 25 gallons is a bit much syrup to expect per year from 20 taps. 5 would be much more defensible.

that said, you'd also likely have to prove that the wood was veneer-quality, if you wanted to get compensated for missing out on that future product.
    member, new hampshire timberland owners association

2x6 g.h. grimm company lightning evaporator. made in rutland vt.

Default Trees

I was really just kidding. He will not have a choice in the matter anyways. The gov't will come in, assess the trees usign a forester who will give them the fair market value for the timber (no way you will get it fo the syrup) and then the govet will say, this is what you are getting. That is the beauty of eminent domain. At least in the US that is.

Any chance you could use this to your advantage, Is there any land that the town or city owns that has maples on it? Maybe instead of them paying you for the loss of your tress there are some trees that they would allow you to tap for free in exchange. Towns and cities like when they don't have to pay. Write out a long term lease.
    Otherwise they are only obligated to pay the appraised value.
    Keith

Hes Is In Canada, Not The Us Socanadian Laws Are Different In These Matters

Yes we have such neat things as Queens Rule and the good old were goverment your a peon so suck it up baby and let us steal the land things. I have seen whole houses go the way of a bulldozer due to roads just haveing to be built there kind of rules. Trees would not have a chance.
    maybe 50 taps for 2011
    Finally ready to boil when I get enough sap
    I just might be crazy.( make that I know I am)
    Trees all tapped except the ones with 5 feet of snow.
    Enough rabbits to keep Elmer busy..

don't get your knickers on a knot over this. The lawyer is the only one that will win in this battle.

Argue for yourselft then take what you can get and get over it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast