+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Norway Maple with purple leaves ?

Default Norway Maple with purple leaves ?

Quick question. I've read alot in the past on here about tapping Norway Maples.My questions is the Maple tree with purple leaves I believe it's called the Crimson King variety ever been tapped by anyone on here? If so what were your results?
    Thanks
    Chad

I've tapped that before. it did alright. this year though it did nothing. it might be all in where you tap it?
    www.themaplehut.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/36680916@N06/
    22x16 Hut
    290 Taps
    2x6 Leader Patriot Raised Flue
    WesFab Filter Press
    Reverse Osmosis
    WF Mason bottlers
    Cotton Candy Machine

Softmaple,

The "Crimson King" purple leaved maples are simply a variety of Norway maple. All of the crimson king trees are grafts originating from a single tree that had a genetic aberration that produced the purple leaves.

That being said the sap qualities should be identical to typical Norway maples.

FYI

I believe I am tapping a few of those this year. My grandfather and his neighbor each have 3 of them. 50% of my sap comes from those tress. One of them is my best producer of sap. Don't have a sap hydrometer to tell you the sugar content. wish I did. However, the first batch of syrup we made tasted incredibly good. 2nd batch was a different story, I think because I needed to clean my pan but did not.
    200+ taps (mix of buckets, bags, tubing)
    2x6 leader patriot & a 7 x 14 mobile sugar shack

http://s918.photobucket.com/albums/a...aple%20photos/

Thanks,
    I tapped a couple last year and they were producing good, but someone told me dump them because they taste bitter and will ruin the rest of your sap. I have read mixed results so I just needed some opinions.This site seems pretty reliable. Thanks again!

I have one on my front lawn that I will be tapping next year even if only for ornamental purposes. If it runs great, if it does I will tesy sugar content.
    1700 Taps /1600 on Vac. 3x10 King evaporator
    20 head Charolais cattle
    8 head Lowline Angus
    28 Miniature horses
    90 hives honey bees
    JD 4430 tractor

Default Norway Maple

Norway maple are actually considered to be exotic invasive trees. Although they might produce sap that you can boil into syrup they are also naturalizing in some forest stands here in Vermont and outcompeting the native maple (and other species) regeneration. Some foresters in our state have been urging people who have norway maple and can bare to do it, to get rid of them. The sap isn't as good as native sugar maple and the wood is considered junk in most markets.

For ID, Norway maple has white sap in the leaf petiole, blunt green, or reddish purple buds, and grooved bark that looks a little more like ash than sugar maple. Also, the leaf lobes on the sugar maple are more triangular where Norway's leaf lobes are more squarish.

I have a neighbor with two decent size trees that must be this type, was thinking of asking to tap them - sure they would allow, but it seems the opinion here is mixed. I don't know if I want to experiment with a small, tiny batch, but it probably would be simple enough in the kitchen in a skillet to boil down a quart, see what you get?

Any follow up before I do that?
    2014 Year 1, 1 large front yard shade tree with 3 taps - 3 quarts of the best syrup I ever had.
    2015 - Convince In-laws and Neighbors, bought F-150 and bricks. 20 taps, 4 gallons in pretty bottles.
    2016 -- More friends and neighbors, should add another 20 +, built temporary shelter as sugar shack. F150 traded for Ram 2500. Big Blue new barrels for 116 gal storage. 8 gallons Syrup.
    2017 - Mortared Brick Arch with serving pans, no make that an 18 x 48 CDL divided flat pan, 48 taps.

I tap 9 of them. Sap gets mixed with silver and sugar maple sap. I've also boiled it separate, but there's no need to keep it separate. Syrup is great and the trees run very well. They tend to bud about the same time as sugars here.

So, tap them!
    42.82N
    2015 - Small operation. 25 buckets. One excited 5 year old and one 35 year old that feels 5 again.
    2016 - One year older. New Homemade 2x4 Arch, Smoky Lake Pan and looking at 52 maples, 17 box elders and 2 walnut trees.
    2017 - Shurflo 4008 hooked to 42 stingy silver maples and a few Norways. A couple buckets on sugars and Norways. 10 box elders.
    2018 - ...a few more taps.
    2019 - ...more taps on 3/16 gravity. This spiral is heading downward in a hurry.
    2020 - 4x400 RO - RB20 (uh-oh!)

I tap a large Norway. Its sap runs always between 2% and 3.5%, never lower, and makes outstanding syrup. (The sap is clear at this time of the year, not the white colour when the leaves return to the trees.)

I strongly encourage you to tap this tree if that's what you have. You will NOT be disappointed.
    ~ Karen ~

2012 - 10 taps, 1 turkey fryer - 169.5L sap 4.2 L syrup
    2013 - 23 taps, 2 turkey fryers - 748.5 L sap 17.56 L syrup

2014 - 22 taps, 509 L sap 12.5 L syrup
    2015 - 28 taps, 1093.75 L sap 25.1 L syrup
    2016 - 25 taps, 1223.5 L sap 28.25 L syrup
    2017 - 21 taps, 518.5 L sap 12.7 L syrup
    2018 - 28 taps, 2 turkey fryers & Denali 3 burner propane stove - 798L sap 16.9 L syrup
    2019 - 28 taps, 1409.5L sap 40.12L syrup

Sugar, Norway, Manitoba, Silver and Freeman Maples

+ Reply to Thread