+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111222 ... LastLast

Thread: Check Valve adapters

I got 845 CV taps with 22" vac and I've been getting 1100 gals a day. The buckets have stopped for a week And guys without CV taps have been getting far less sap so far.

Quote Originally Posted by maplemaple2020 View Post
    the cv's arnt for gravity there for vac. the reason is when you have a vac going the releaser fills up when the releaser opens for air that air is pusing the vac in the line back in the tree its called back pressure.
    The CV is for once the vac is shut off the tree with a negetive pressure doesnt suck the sap back up the drop line into the hole and aid in bacterial growth. A releaser and properly set up vac system should not loose much vacuum when it dumps. check valves and the the releaser valves take care of that. otherwise you would have to re-create that vacuum in your lines everytime it dumped and you would loose that advantage over gravity!
    Jim & Charlene Desjardins
    Belchertown MA.

Had a good 13 year run, but circumstances ! and loss of tree use.. we are ending the Maple thing for now... maybe be back in a few years

www.Desjardinsmaple.com

facebook Jim Desjardins

The CV's keep bacteria laden sap from rentering the tap hole when the vacuum is off, thus keeping the tap hole fresher longer and helping to extend the season.
    1,200 taps on USFS land, 3x8 King w/Steamaway. Lapierre RO.

The final conclusion is still yet to be determined for me yet. CV's and regular adptrs. are running neck and neck right now. If there is to be a difference I do not think I will see it for another three to four weeks.
    Brian Ryther
    Mill Hollow Maple
    10,000 taps
    3 Liquid Ring Vac Pumps
    5x14 Leader Vortex Evap
    Lapierre 2000 RO
    http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x3/brianryther/

The CV's are being tested on gravity by Vermont Maple Research this season according to what Dr Tim said at Verona conference in Jan. I thought I'd do the test along with him.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

PerryW's Comment from a month ago about the CV Adapters:

3) The additional syrup (from CV Spouts) is most likely lower quality or commercial syrup and will be worth less. Retail sales will be unlikely for this lower quality product.

Dr. Tim's Response:

This was not our experience. Because it ran harder through to the end, the syrup was good quality to the last day we boiled. Typically we will make some B syrup or even commercial at the end.....we didn't make any last year.

Even if more B or Commercial is made...what is the problem with it? There is a definite market for this stuff (it just isn't mostly retail) as a flavoring agent for all sorts of products. A good amount of maple syrup is sold this way.
    Looks like the CV spouts will get you some nice fancy-grade bud run with the temps we are having now!
    2012: Probably 750 gravity taps and 50 buckets.

600 gal stainless milk tank.
    2 - 100 gallon stock tanks
    one 30 gal barrel
    50 buckets

3' x 10' Waterloo Raised Flue wood fired evaporator w/ open pans.

12" x 20" Filter Canner

Sawmill next to sugarhouse solves my sugarwood problem

Gather with GMC 3500 2wd Pickup w/ 425 gallon Plastic Tank.

Been tapping here in Lyman NH since 1989 but I've been sugaring since 8 years old in 1968.

After looking for vacuum leaks today, I have to wonder about the effectiveness of the CVs. As I would pull the stubby off to tap the CV in some more (they have loosened up some), I tried blowing and sucking through several (yes, I realize I'm probably totally contaminating the holes by doing this when reinserting the CV). I would say 3 out of 4 times the ball would not "check". I know from trying on vacuum gauges that I can suck about 20" or so of vacuum. When the CVs were new and dry, they worked flawlessly. But now with sticky sap, and probably some tiny wood chips inside, they just don't really seem to be working. Sometimes I sucked some chips out, then they'd work. But who gets a perfectly clean hole after tapping?

I'm a little discouraged about the effectiveness of CVs. I really hope I'm wrong, and that someone can give me some encouragement.

Also, is there a best way to remove them after the season?
    Tim Whitens
    Willow Creek Farm
    Fulton, NY

3000 on vacuum, 3hp 3ph Busch pump, 2567 Gast
    30X8 Leader oil-fired evap. w/ steamaway
    Airablo 1000 RO
    6 Alpacas

I tried to remove the regular adapters the last couple of days and what a pain to remove out of a tree. The wings are so soft they bend before they pull out the spout.
    maybe 50 taps for 2011
    Finally ready to boil when I get enough sap
    I just might be crazy.( make that I know I am)
    Trees all tapped except the ones with 5 feet of snow.
    Enough rabbits to keep Elmer busy..

I pulled regular adapters with pliers around the barrel of the adapter. Try that.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

That's what I'm afraid of, Ken. I guess pliers or visegrips are going to be the way to go. They should have made a tool for removing them by now, or change the design so a hammer will pull them. Maybe I'm missing something on the product line.
    Tim Whitens
    Willow Creek Farm
    Fulton, NY

3000 on vacuum, 3hp 3ph Busch pump, 2567 Gast
    30X8 Leader oil-fired evap. w/ steamaway
    Airablo 1000 RO
    6 Alpacas

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111222 ... LastLast