+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: is it over?

It's not over here quite yet, I can just see the fat lady coming up on the horizon. Supposed to be 26C here tomorrow and Wednesday. Accuweather is predicting low temps. below freezing for the middle of next week while the Weather Network has them way above freezing. We'll leave the taps in over the weekend and see what next week holds. No peepers yet, still some ice on the pond.
    Help relatives every year:
    A few hundred taps on 3/16 into 3/4" mainline
    Can't stop thinking maple, more fun, than work.

Had my 2nd biggest run of the season today. Just under 6000 gallons of sap. Just didnt make any sense, because it never froze, hasnt in days. I think it was because the sun came out for the first time in days. Very strange season. It was my first year on vacuum and i dont know why it took me this long for the switch. I have to thank some fellow sugar makers around me for persuading me to try it. Still a dismal season. This just means that it is going to be a bumper crop for next year.

Default still going but for how long?

We gathered again today ( moths and all) and did a small boil which resulted in another one and a half gallons of very good medium amber. Checked buckets this evening and was surprised to find sap again so will probably gather again tomorrow, though it won't be much. "Farmall h" we live just off the Shadow Lake road about 4 miles west of the lake towards Craftsbury. This is where I was born and raised on the family farm ( and I spent many hours on a Farmall H when I was a teenager on the farm raking hay, harrowing, towing the hay wagon, etc. Decided farming wasn't for me so ended up at Barton Motors working on Fords for 33 years and retired 3 years ago.)
    Last edited by Mud Island Maple; 04-02-2010 at 09:03 PM.
    55 bucket taps
    19 x 48 Lapierre hobby evaporator
    2022 Kioti CX2510
    Just the wife and me.

I think that's it for me. Only a couple of gallons trickeled into the tubing tanks yesterday and nothing in the buckets. Time to start washing up.

Season total is 46 + gallons off 510 taps or 1/10th of a gallon per tap. All A med or dark, no Fancy or B this year. I will be finishing off what's left in the syrup pan over propane today, perhaps another gallon or two.

The remaining sap in the flue pan will be going to a couple of local brewers in exchange for beer.
    300 on vaccum
    300 gravity tubing
    200 buckets

100 hilltop acres
    16x20 timberframe sugarhouse built in 2010
    3x10 Leader max flue & revolution pans w/ Inferno arch - 2013
    1998 Kubota M5400

Northwoods Farm and Forestry on Facebook.

I tink I'm done. I boiled yesterday and it was SLOW boiling. The sap is not buddy yet but these temperatures are murder. I usually get 60-65 GPH and yesterday I only got 25-30 gph. My rear pan kept needing to be skimmed. This is the first time all season I've had to skim, but I kept getting a thich mucky foam and defoamer didn't seem to make any difference. It boiled so slow I'm sure it will be C. That does not stop me but the real slow boil does.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Mudislandmaple, the 'ol farmall could be for sale if you would like to recreate some memories. Guess you could say all the boys in my family started on the "H". Raked, tedded,raked, tedded...round and round the field. I didn't take up farming either...working at EHV and more than likely will retire from there. 20 yrs. more that is! My inlaws live directly across from the lake..3 houses up from Wheelers & Gebbies. My self...located just below MAX'S Dance Hall on the left. Actually only dairy farm on that stretch of road (that's my folks place) remember I didn't pick up the habit either. But I did carry on the Maple Sugaring affliction! Back when I was a teenager we used to tap about 900-1000. Sugaring was sorta on hold for 10 years due to lack of interest and different carrer paths. Of course all that tubing has been replaced and now we are around 1400 taps...potential of 2000 with ease. Hopefully pass the tradition down to my kids..the trees will still be here long after I am gone!
    Last edited by farmall h; 04-03-2010 at 08:43 AM. Reason: sp
    Bob- 4 x 12 Small Bros. Lightning w/raised flues-open pans
    20 x 40 sugarhouse, all tubing-main line to sugarhouse
    1400+- for 2011 & 100% vacuum
    Polaris 500 HO w/Tatou 4s Tracks
    1 Chocolate Lab from TEXAS

Boiling 500 + gallons of cloudy sap today...maybe the last for a while or for the season. Happy with the season so far.

Default Yes, it's over.

We did gather again yesterday for the last time. The sap was colored but we boiled it in and pushed it through with water. Made over three gallons of dark amber and today we started cleaning equipment. (the pans are full of water/acid and soaking right now). Ended up with between 45 and 46 gallons which we are quite happy with. We don't know what an average season is for us since this is just the third year. Two years ago we made 38 gallons, last year 73 and now 45 so I guess this was probably an average year. The amazing thing about this year is the season ending on April 3rd and 2 years ago our first boil was on April 2nd -- go figure.
    55 bucket taps
    19 x 48 Lapierre hobby evaporator
    2022 Kioti CX2510
    Just the wife and me.

mudislandmaple...that's really good on 180 buckets! Your right..it started early and ended fast. I am starting to pull my taps...need to count them so's I know just how many I had ...And YES IT IS OVER!
    Last edited by farmall h; 04-05-2010 at 08:06 PM. Reason: added comment

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567