+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: is it over?

Unfortunately, I agree. Everyone in my area I've talked to has a sugar content near 1% and making Grade C. The weather was looking possible early next week but the lows have come up and doesn't look like any freeze in sight. Nothing but milky, stinky sap coming in and it's slowing down, even on vacuum....
    5600 taps on tubing w/ vacuum, 3.5 x12 Oil Fired with pre-heater, 2 Post RO
    http://s674.photobucket.com/albums/v...owhillmapping/

http://snowhillfarm.com

Default Hoping it's not over

Here in Enosburg we are still going making med amber all on buckets. we are testing 2.3 and the buckets aren't dry. We have no soft maples tapped so hopefully if we can make it through this weekend the beggining if the week looks good...
    Pattee Family Herefords II
    2500+/- buckets
    Wood Intense-O-Fire
    Kubota Tractors
    Beef Cows
    2006 & 2010 "Best in the Nation" NAMSC & IMSI
    2010 "Best in Show"
    2016 "Best in Nation" NAMSC & IMSI

Default I Thought It Was Over

well i thought it was over but where i tapped some trees in lodonderry this a.m. i was shocked it was 26 deg and appeared to be froze up pretty good. i didnt get back this afternoon to check all the buckets to see if it ran, i would amagin i did.
    who knows at this point im giving up on trying to predict the weather, if it dosnt do anything by next weekend im probably going to through in the towel and start cleaning everything up.
    i cant emagin what the price of syrup is going to be after this year, as everybody i have talked to has made as much as they had wanted and said that the season was short and bad weather, this will probably have a huge effect on the prices..

hopping for cold spell

maple rookie
    vacuum
    RO
    filter press
    auto draw
    New leader oil fired

http://s712.photobucket.com/albums/ww123/jtrap/

Glad to hear you're still hanging in there MapleRookie. I've still got all my taps out but have only pulled in 80 gallons of sap in the past 10 days.

I finished off everything in the syrup pan yesterday and made 6 gallons of grade A dark amber. That puts me over 30 gallons so far, though I was hoping for 100 or more...

So I'm willing to wait and see what happens in the coming week. Wouldn't mind making some B.
    300 on vaccum
    300 gravity tubing
    200 buckets

100 hilltop acres
    16x20 timberframe sugarhouse built in 2010
    3x10 Leader max flue & revolution pans w/ Inferno arch - 2013
    1998 Kubota M5400

Northwoods Farm and Forestry on Facebook.

Yeah northwoods still hanging in there but after this morning man i dont think i have a chance. it was 44 deg here when i woke up, man it really need to get cold here soon.
    im thinking of buying some sap from a guy i talked to he's getting 2%, but i woud have to go get it and its over an hour away. as much as i like making syrup i dont think i can justify drive 2hrs round trip for a couple hundred gallons.
    im finishing whats in the pans today and chasing it with water, going to bottle it tommorow. hope theres enought to put me over 10 gal but dont know. one thing about it i wont have to cut much wood this year..

need a good freeze

maple rookie
    vacuum
    RO
    filter press
    auto draw
    New leader oil fired

trackerguy Guest

Started with 8 gals light dark amber Mon, dropped down to 6 gals B last night. Sap volume pretty constant at 400G per day but sugar falling about .1 per day, it was 1.3 last night. Boil smells faintly popcorny, syrup is good but "flat" - sweet, no off flavors, but no maple zing. It'll go out bulk. I'd be dumping if i didn't have the RO - 6 gals fuel and an hour+ per gallon is below my economic threshold. Still have snow but it's going fast.

Default Pulling The Plug Today

well im pulling the plug today on my sugaring season, im just not getting the sap that i need to boil know, and as i get im gathering it and im affraid that it will spoil with this heat, i had near 65 deg today. i finished what was in the pans today, filteed and bottled it. i finished at just over 9 1/2 gals all together.
    pretty disapointed in how it turned out but what are you going to do.

good luck to everyone that going to sitck this out. cleaning tanks and evap tommorow. then taking down the lines and washing them.

maple rookie
    vacuum
    RO
    filter press
    auto draw
    New leader oil fired

Default its over

i am pulling the plug too pulled the buckets and started cleaning up.
    made 21 gallons was shooting for 30.how did everyone do?

good luck bob
    http://s899.photobucket.com/albums/a...unterbob_2010/

2x6 gbm
    150to200 taps
    790 jonn deere
    my 2 little boys
    1 grandfather
    two brothers
    1 dog
    gbm finshing unit
    oh and 1 sister inlaw
    and the love of my life erica.

Well I will go up to camp Thursday night and if I have sap will boil one last time otherwise I am done too
    110 taps W.F Mason 2x3 and two turkey friers for finishing

2011 expanding to a Mason 2x4 with a blower increasing taps to about 200
    2011 Hurricane Irene rips thru my small sugar bush cost me to lose 20% of taps
    2014 I have reworked my lines for 2014
    32 taps on 5/16 line with check valves
    57 taps on 3/16 line with check valves
    55 buckets with total tapped trees of 144

Waiting and watching. My new tubing is still clean and taps are still open. I'm going to see what happens this week before I call it quits.

The price for off grade is high enough (I read 2.45/lbs elsewhere here) to justify hanging in there.
    300 on vaccum
    300 gravity tubing
    200 buckets

100 hilltop acres
    16x20 timberframe sugarhouse built in 2010
    3x10 Leader max flue & revolution pans w/ Inferno arch - 2013
    1998 Kubota M5400

Northwoods Farm and Forestry on Facebook.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast