+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: is it over?

i was looking foward to lastnight and tonites freeze they were predicting. but that dosnt look like its goona happen, although is very clear sky out. and with clear sky comes cold nights. just finished boiling everything in my holding tank after gathering it all up today.might of made 2 gals. i hope its not over pretty hard to believe if it is, its only march 16th should have 2 more weeks left at least. but who knows..

need more sap

maple rookie
    vacuum
    RO
    filter press
    auto draw
    New leader oil fired

http://s712.photobucket.com/albums/ww123/jtrap/

20 degrees on the thermometer this am...had a decent run considering it got up to 52 today. Gonna be small batches from here on out I think...still some snow in the woods..4-5". Will continue to make syrup as long as it stays in the 20's in the am. Had to scrape windshield so that is a good indicator! Just turned dark amber today (but lighter than the sampler).
    Bob- 4 x 12 Small Bros. Lightning w/raised flues-open pans
    20 x 40 sugarhouse, all tubing-main line to sugarhouse
    1400+- for 2011 & 100% vacuum
    Polaris 500 HO w/Tatou 4s Tracks
    1 Chocolate Lab from TEXAS

34 degrees this morning? My outside thermometer must be off, the puddles were freezing over when I came up from the sugarhouse last night!

Forecast is looking more like potato planting than sugaring...though it may cool off next week.
    300 on vaccum
    300 gravity tubing
    200 buckets

100 hilltop acres
    16x20 timberframe sugarhouse built in 2010
    3x10 Leader max flue & revolution pans w/ Inferno arch - 2013
    1998 Kubota M5400

Northwoods Farm and Forestry on Facebook.

Far from over here! Iffy freezes tonight,Thursday and Friday.Then too warm over the weekend, but a cooldown coming for early next week and we're right back at it. The vacuum pumps stay on!
    4X12 A+A Evaporator
    2500 taps, 1200 GPH RO
    Atv w/tracks
    5 generations
    http://www.talbertsmaplefarm.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/TalbertsMapleFarm?ref=hl

It just hit 31 at 5:30 a.m. this morning and was holding there when I left the funny thing is half mile down the road it was 27. I picked up som sap yesterday but not enough to start evaporator I hope by this afternoon I might have enough after that it looks like next week at best. Now yesterdays small run was the first since last Thursday if it goes dry till next week what are chances the holes will be sealing up on us?
    110 taps W.F Mason 2x3 and two turkey friers for finishing

2011 expanding to a Mason 2x4 with a blower increasing taps to about 200
    2011 Hurricane Irene rips thru my small sugar bush cost me to lose 20% of taps
    2014 I have reworked my lines for 2014
    32 taps on 5/16 line with check valves
    57 taps on 3/16 line with check valves
    55 buckets with total tapped trees of 144

Gravity tubing here is doing nothing. Guy five miles away with vacuum is doing fine. I gathered just sixty gallons of sap off of 265 taps in the last three days. Looking at the forecast I decided to boil it all in just in case it doesn't start back up, to not let it lose grade sitting in the tank and evaporator. Drew off five gallons while getting everything in the flue pan up to the front. Don't count your gallons before they are in the drum.

I gathered all my buckets today, 100 buckets 65 gal of sap, both of my pipe line setups are doing nothing either. my grandfather has out 1200 taps and only gathered 250 gals today, todate hes made just over 70gal. its deffinatly been any off year around here i think. i know i had i goals set and theres no way i will get there, oh well allways next year..
    vacuum
    RO
    filter press
    auto draw
    New leader oil fired

http://s712.photobucket.com/albums/ww123/jtrap/

Here in Westford the sap has dropped to 1.2% and has a milky color. Boiling over 70:1 is not going to happen (no R.O.), plus it was Grade B and dropping fast. I can't see much hope unless we get a long freeze up. Last two nights we have had a freeze and then the sap continued to loose sugar.... Never seen a season like this, wondering if a hail storm we got in July has caused the sugar loss (we lost 20-30% of our leaves). Never got above 2.0 this year, very low. Only made .22 gal/tap so far, not good considering I have high vacuum, all new lines and check valves....
    5600 taps on tubing w/ vacuum, 3.5 x12 Oil Fired with pre-heater, 2 Post RO
    http://s674.photobucket.com/albums/v...owhillmapping/

http://snowhillfarm.com

Sucked in enough sap to squeek out 17 gal. dark A but still above B. Weather man is saying 30 deg. for tomorrow am. Seems to be colder for me here in the valley close to the river. Had 24 degrees this am...hope to be same. Happy with production so far.
    Bob- 4 x 12 Small Bros. Lightning w/raised flues-open pans
    20 x 40 sugarhouse, all tubing-main line to sugarhouse
    1400+- for 2011 & 100% vacuum
    Polaris 500 HO w/Tatou 4s Tracks
    1 Chocolate Lab from TEXAS

Default is it over?

Yeah. I think it's over.

Just checked the long range forecast. The hoped for cold front moving in this weekend is no longer in the forecast.

Even the vacuum folks are going to have a tough time pulling sap now...
    300 on vaccum
    300 gravity tubing
    200 buckets

100 hilltop acres
    16x20 timberframe sugarhouse built in 2010
    3x10 Leader max flue & revolution pans w/ Inferno arch - 2013
    1998 Kubota M5400

Northwoods Farm and Forestry on Facebook.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast