+ Reply to Thread

Thread: taps still dry ! Advice needed

Hybrid View

Default taps still dry ! Advice needed

I tapped my two big trees March 6th and so far nothing is running. This is near Shakopee. I plan on 6 more trees, 2 of those will have 2 or 3 taps.

Is it OK to leave a dry tap this long ? Can I go out and put the rest in ?

This is my third season and have always had sap the same day I tapped so I'm getting a little concerned.

Leinie - What is Your Weather like? If it is freezing at night and above freezing during the day I would go ahead and tap the other trees. If they are flowing - then I would pull the spiles on the trees you already tapped and clean out the holes a little with your drill and reinsert the spiles. However if You are way too warm with no flow - tap one or two other trees and see if you get a flow - never know. I have 55 tapped here and nothing - had one good day and then way too warm - my worst year in 15 years of tapping - but - I'll wait it out -- Good Luck -- Mike

It was too cold and now its too warm here around the twin cities. Hopefully we'll get into some good freeze/thaw weather soon although the forecast isn't looking good for another week. We've had just a little sap oozing out of a few trees so I think they're woke up now with this warm stretch, just need some freezing temps at night to get the sap going.
    20+ taps (mostly silvers) - welded shut kitchen sink + 2x3 divided pan on a dry stacked block arch.

Things are looking bleak for getting the night freeze for a bit.

Another variable in all of this is what side of the tree the taps are on. I put out about 70 taps today, and for some reason the majority of the north-side taps were dripping right away, but on every single one of the south-side taps I was drilling thru bone dry wood.
    Dan
    -15 years sugaring and counting - hoping to create a tradition my kids will always remember
    -400 taps, mostly buckets (Silver Maples + a few Boxelders just for the heck of it)
    -Custom-built 2x6 evap with Smoky Lake Maple raised flue, boiling in dad's old farm granary, now converted to sugar shack
    -Cobbled-together RO with XLE4040 membrane
    -New in 2021: experimenting with 3/16 tubing & a Shurflo pump.

Leinie,

I am about 2 miles north of you in EP and I feel your pain!

140 taps in for a week and we just put 40 gallons into the the rig just to boil and sterilize the sap so it didn't spoil. Looks like another 6 days until we get a freeze. I wouldn't put your other taps in until the first ones start running.
    John
    2x8 Smokylake drop flue with AOF/ AUF
    180 taps on sacks
    75 on 3/16 tubing with shurflo
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota

+ Reply to Thread