+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Will it start back up?

Default Will it start back up?

I am in NY and we will have gone at least 10 days without a freeze by the middle of next week. Will the flow start back up if we get a freeze or will the bacteria have clogged everything up? I am on vac. and still getting some flow but everyone around here on buckets or gravity is dead in the water. Thanks.

Chris
    Chris
    18 X 20 sugar shack
    1300 taps all on vac.
    2 by 8 Lapierre all stanless evaporator
    Steam Hood
    Lapierre 250 Turbo R.O.
    Polaris Ranger
    30 years experience

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Time will tell I have hear of things picking back up after time but the buds will be the judge I have never had the time to wait and see but others have said it can run again. Vacuum is your friend and iff you ran it long into the cold nights your a step up.

Well I sure hope so.. BUT here in western Ma. it doesnt look good. I work in West Springfield, 1/2 hour west of my house in belchertown and the tress ARE BUDDING.. not all of them and not all are maples... thise weekend may be it for us, Talking with the coordinator and new president of the association and they are hearing only grimm reports from other producers... one producer just west of here who normally makes a boatload of syrup has mad just over 5 gallons... I have made 28 off 600 taps, I should be well above 50 gallons by now, I have been lucky compared to some others. it doesn't look like any near freezing nights until tuesday... so I'm thinking I may be done. I'm hoping my north bush stays cold enough to give me something to boil
    Jim & Charlene Desjardins
    Belchertown MA.

Had a good 13 year run, but circumstances ! and loss of tree use.. we are ending the Maple thing for now... maybe be back in a few years

www.Desjardinsmaple.com

facebook Jim Desjardins

A lot of guys I talk to around say there is time yet, I don't see it happening. Last night it was 48 at 0001. Wind and rain today... I think over the 7 days I had maybe 40 gallons come in. Time to start looking towards next season. I am going to collect and boil what I have stored up but I'm shure that will go B. Last sugar test was 1.3 if it's less then that I won't boil for 1/2 gal of B. Just going to have to suck it up for this season and try it again next. The question is If you make 1/3 the syrup is it worth 3 times the money????
    100 taps
    Percheron draft horses
    Back out side and to small of
    an evaporator!

Turned the vac on at 10 this morning and it is still pulling clear sap. sugar was down to 2% last night from 2.2%. A little cloudy in the tank but not bad. I will make syrup until the trees tell me to stop. No one around here is having any kind of season. Good luck Mapleman, hopefully the freeze comes in time.

Chris
    Chris
    18 X 20 sugar shack
    1300 taps all on vac.
    2 by 8 Lapierre all stanless evaporator
    Steam Hood
    Lapierre 250 Turbo R.O.
    Polaris Ranger
    30 years experience

I was still pulling sap on the vacuum last night, so hearing that it was running this morning makes me feel a little better about at least making a little steam this year. last night even some of my buckets were dripping for some reason, i was very surprised to see that. Maybe with a little luck, I'll actually make some this season after all.

Davey, where you located in Macedon?

Had the best run of the week yesterday on vacuum without a freeze the night before. Sap was running decent this morning on vac. We had allot of snow up until yesterday and the tree wells just opened up - plus allot of moisture in the soil.

I think Dr. Perkins check valve taps will get a good workout this year. I don't have them, but for those that do, this should be the perfect test. If they can keep those holes bacteria free thorugh this warm up, those guys should be in great shape for the next cold snap ... if there is one.
    Danno
    Just West of Syracuse
    3 x 10 Lightning
    Sihi Vacuum
    Sap Bros RO
    600 taps and buying sap

+ Reply to Thread