+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Got Sap in Northern Minnesota

Hybrid View

Post Got Sap in Northern Minnesota

This is the earliest that I have tapped trees and had sap in the last three years of records.

Was trying to get new taps and etc. to go to drop lines w/ buckets. But the place in Wisconsin must be really busy also with this warm weather we are all having!

Met with a fellow sapper close to me that just happen to have and offered all of his used drop lines to me. He has been tapping for a week, finally finished today. He doesn't count how many taps he has but there is a.....so many!!! His tree's are still a little dormant but he is gonna wake them up tomorrow! Heck of a guy for 70 years young!

How are other fellow sapper's doing?
    BriJack

14 taps all in my yard---'08-'09
    28 taps on drop line to buckets--2010, '11, '12, '13
    Homemade Barrel Evaporator
    Still Learning and Need More Toys

West-central Minnesota. Tapped some yesterday. Late today it was a very slow drip.....drip....drip from tubing into barrel.

Post Weather

Two of my buckets maybe had a gallon of sap all the others are just so slow! I just know that this weather can stay like this.

This weather is just really wierd! Had to cancel the SLFD Perch Jerk for Saturday since all this rain is eating the shoreline ice just bad!!
    BriJack

Default Sap's Ooozin

Had about 6 outa 25 start dripping 2 days ago with about a couple cups in each one... one tree in the sun had a gallon and a half! Am hoping it will start soon.... cant wait to try out my new homade 2x4 stainless... just doing it over an open fire this year but have plans on making up a propper evaporator for next year!

have 115 taps in so far its dripping slow, plan to put another 200 taps in this weekend.

Default It TIme

Just got 20 gallons from 27 trees and threw out another 30 taps today! almost all of the trees I tapped started dripping right away! I am 30 min north of the cities

Post Finally a decent run!!

Today was a decent day for a run (about 35 gallons), it was frosty here for the first time in a long time!! The future days are getting to look more like spring weather! I need to burn soon or mabybe the cool weather will help not spoil the sap so quickly.
    BriJack

Collected 110 gallons of sap today, which totals 195 of sap this year so far. Not so good considering I tapped on the 7th of march. Hopefully the forecast holds out and we actually get some freezing weather. Besides last night it hasn't froze here at night for nearly a week and a half.

Post Is my season over?

Well the taps have been in for close to a month, the weather is getting to warm to keep sap from spoilin' and the low's (temp) are not helping the sap run!! Need to make a decision on quitting, would think it's over but I have usually been burning till the 10th of April!!!

How is everyone else doing in the north country?
    BriJack

+ Reply to Thread