+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got Sap in MN?

Hybrid View

Default Got Sap in MN?

Had sap running in 2 of our 12 residential maple taps today before it clouded up and cooled off late this afternoon. Nothing from the field-edge box elders tho.

Anyone else in MN starting to see some action?
    20+ taps (mostly silvers) - welded shut kitchen sink + 2x3 divided pan on a dry stacked block arch.

I threw a few test taps out a couple of days ago in some of my yard trees. Nothing yet, not that I expected to see anything yet. That's alright, I'm not ready yet, although when am I........ To many things to do, never enough time

I thought it might be a little to early, but the temps look good for the next few days and the wife made family plans for the next few days so I tapped 205 trees yesterday, I would say that 90% of them had sap coming out within seconds of the bit coming out of the tree. Most of them were dripping faster than 1 per second, and about 20 that you couldn't count the drips, to fast.

will see what the temps do this week and what happens next week and maybe tap another 200.....

we were tapping around Moose lake.
    2013 450 taps on vac.
    2 x 6 leader patriot
    20 x 24 sugar shack with attached 34' x 56' storage shed
    150 Gal SS bulk tank on trailer
    250 Gal SS bulk tank releaser tank
    300 Gal SS bulk tank

Davydd Guest

I tapped 7 sugar maples this year. All but one is producing sap right now to varying degrees. I'm in the Lake Minnetonka area of the Twin Cities.

The Minnesota Landscape Arboretum tapped and tubed several trees last week.

The 10 day weather forecast seems optimum.

I tapped 20 trees today with at least 75% of them dripping right away. I'll try to get out there tomorrow after work to see the progress. Hopefully I can boil this weekend.

I'm about 20 miles NE of Mankato.

tomslusher

1/2 a doz. test taps out today... Wood was dry!

I'm about 25 mi. NE of Rochester

Cleaned about 600 gals worth of barrels, still have 2-275 gal totes to go. We should be ready when the sap starts running...
    Last edited by Riley/MN; 03-07-2010 at 07:30 PM.

Default Tapping MN

We're way down in the balmy SE Corner of MN and have been tapping since 3/10. We're happy with what we think is good production (abt 170 gallons of sap total). Last year was our first year with 5 taps, this year we have 17 on maples and 3 on boxelders to try those out. Can't believe how good boxelder is... I've been eradicating them for years. My dad used to pay us kids to go into the woods and spray them.

Whitehall, WI ( but tap in Winona County, MN)

In Winona county, with 113 taps, we have made over 6 gallons so far. Hoping the weather straightens out a little. The wind keeps taking the bag holders off the trees. About a third of our trees just woke up over the weekend and I'm itching for 25 at night and 45 during the day with sun and no wind. I would also love to win the lottery and I doubt either of my wishes will happen in the immediate future.

Smile

I'm in the southeast metro and the flow has been good for me this year. I have 18 taps and brought in 73 gallons thus far. Started flowing around the 15th and results have been much better than last year. Although this latest round of weather is putting a crimp in the action.

Default late start

I just got the taps in on the evening of 3/19 but the sap ran good all Sat night and filled all the buckets - oh yeah! Took the family out to CA for spring break and was fearing an early ending silver maple season like last year. lucked out there. Now it just needs to get above freezing again...

The lack of sap is giving me time to experiment with maple syrup and Canadian Whiskey tho - mmmmm
    20+ taps (mostly silvers) - welded shut kitchen sink + 2x3 divided pan on a dry stacked block arch.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast