+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foaming Syrup Pan

Default Foaming Syrup Pan

I am boiling on a Leader 2X6. The syrup started to foam in the front pan just before draw-off, to the point it boiled over the side of the pan on the draw- off side. I am using a defoamer and I have had no problems with foam in the sap pan. The only way to settle things down was to open the evap door to reduce heat. As soon as the door is closed it would begin to foam up again. I have been using this evap for several years and have not had this happen before. Sap pan level is about 1-1/2 to 2" in sap depth. Made some nice fancy today, but struggled through the foaming issue Any thoughts?

Sometimes you need to add 1 drop of defoamer at every fueling. I attended a seminar by a Leader employee who said you should add 1 drop IN THE FLUE PAN every time you add wood. If you do this he claimed you will never need to add any in the syrup pan. I was going to try it this year.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Haynes Forest Products Guest

One drop Dang I see guys squirt a stream into the flue pan every time. I use maybe 10 drops for my 3x10.

Haynes Forest Products Guest

One drop Dang I see guys squirt a stream into the flue pan every time. I use maybe 10 drops for my 3x10. Sweet run maybe drawoff more often and longer draws. I always keep an eye out for the really big shinny bubbles because trouble is right behind them.

Thanks for the replys. Maybe I was getting a little stingy on the use of the defoamer. I will boost it up a bit.

The amount depends on the size of the evaporator. A drop or 2 is sometimes needed at the drawoff. This will not only reduce the foam but help draw the syrup to the draw off. If you are using proper amount in the floatbox it is rare that you need any at the drawoff.
    Jon
    2 1/8 x 8 Leader Inferno Arch W/ steamaway , hood and Marcland auto drawoff
    M6040 Kubota w/ cab and lift
    Arctic Cat Prowler
    http://jwhitjw.spaces.live.com/photo...D0BF1C18E!116/

For my 3x8 I tried the one drop and it seems to work good for me. The seminar that presnted that info said it takes a big change in pan size before you need to go to even 2 drops. So far I have only tested it on the 3x8, but that seems to work the same as my 2x6 did before that.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

YUK, one drop is plenty! I don't even pop the cap off...just wave it in the back pan and down it goes. Same with the front when necessary. You don't need to use the defoamer unless it is rolling OUT of the pans.
    Last edited by farmall h; 03-08-2010 at 04:42 PM.
    Bob- 4 x 12 Small Bros. Lightning w/raised flues-open pans
    20 x 40 sugarhouse, all tubing-main line to sugarhouse
    1400+- for 2011 & 100% vacuum
    Polaris 500 HO w/Tatou 4s Tracks
    1 Chocolate Lab from TEXAS

I had this problem myself yesterday. An old Vermonter taught me to use just a drop of half and half when I reach this point. Worked like a charm...

Default I was told last year on mapletrader to use butter!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetrun View Post
    I am boiling on a Leader 2X6. The syrup started to foam in the front pan just before draw-off, to the point it boiled over the side of the pan on the draw- off side. I am using a defoamer and I have had no problems with foam in the sap pan. The only way to settle things down was to open the evap door to reduce heat. As soon as the door is closed it would begin to foam up again. I have been using this evap for several years and have not had this happen before. Sap pan level is about 1-1/2 to 2" in sap depth. Made some nice fancy today, but struggled through the foaming issue Any thoughts?
    Several people on mapletrader told me last year to use unsalted butter. Take a toothpick stick it in the butter then into the foam and boom its gone. Well I had no other items to use at the time so that worked for me. Hope it helps
    cpmaple
    100 buckets for 09
    180 buckets for 2010
    300 on gravity and 300 buckets for 2011
    1000 total for 2012
    250 taps on shurflow pumps
    G.H.Grimm 3x10 raise flue auf
    snowmobile and grizzly 660 four wheeler
    8 beagles an 1 aussie shepherd for company
    and last a wonderful companion that lets me do all the stuff i love (maple sugaring) and doesnt ask questions!!!!!!!!!!!

http://s1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc375/cpmaple/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast