+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nice Find

Default Nice Find

Today we went to antique shop and picked up a nice dresser to go in our entryway, and as I was looking for old tools and maple stuff, I found this old hydrometer.
    I am hoping one of you sugarers out there could maybe tell me an age of it, it came in a wooden tube case, and the scale starts at the lower end of the hydrometer at 50 baume up to the top at 0 baume.
    along the scale written in script "Beaume' scale for syrup at 60deg F"
    it is in perfect condition, thought it would be a nice conversation peice in the sugarhouse.. heck who knows it may still be accurate

Jim & Charlene Desjardins
    Belchertown MA.

Had a good 13 year run, but circumstances ! and loss of tree use.. we are ending the Maple thing for now... maybe be back in a few years

www.Desjardinsmaple.com

facebook Jim Desjardins

Maple Hill Sugarhouse Guest

mapleman3- I have an old one that has liquid mercury in the bottom for the weight-Not sure what the age of it is? Check with Bob Coombs in Vt or Charlie Stewart in N.H. these two guys know more about the history of old maple equipment then the manufactures did. At Maplerama this summer David Clark and myself seen this old caved in sugarhouse at the Matt farm? I said to david i bet charlie was over there looking for any goodies- So when we caught up with charlie who was carrying around his video camera before we boarded the bus to the next stop i asked him if he checked out the falling in sugarhouse for any treasures and he said oh yes. Forgot what he was said was in there but i said talk to the owner and he may part with that item? don't know if he asked though?

Jim,
    Russ Davenport from Shelburne would probably know. He has a large collection of maple antiques and also a very interesting collection of pipeline and fittings of all types from the first types used. He contributed alot to the North American Maple Syrup Producers Manual. Bring it with you to a board of directors meeting maybe Tom might know.
    Keith

Thats true, Tom is a collector. Thanks guys.
    Jim & Charlene Desjardins
    Belchertown MA.

Had a good 13 year run, but circumstances ! and loss of tree use.. we are ending the Maple thing for now... maybe be back in a few years

www.Desjardinsmaple.com

facebook Jim Desjardins

Jim, I wish I looked @ this last night,I went over the hill to Davenport's for breakfast and I could have printed out a copy of the photo and showed it to Russ. You may want to take the family on a little trip to Shelburne, have breakfast,check out the sugarhouse,25 yr. old R.O. ,etc. Warning: be there @ 7:30 ,they open @ 8:00 always a line... very good food!

+ Reply to Thread