+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dewalt 18 volt batteries suddenly going dead

Default Dewalt 18 volt batteries suddenly going dead

Now I have three of the 18 Volt Batteries that have suddenly stopped working. I know there has to be something simple because one day they work great and the next day they will not take a charge.

Is there a way to fix them or anywhere I can send them to get them fixed? They cost about $65 each.
    2012: Probably 750 gravity taps and 50 buckets.

600 gal stainless milk tank.
    2 - 100 gallon stock tanks
    one 30 gal barrel
    50 buckets

3' x 10' Waterloo Raised Flue wood fired evaporator w/ open pans.

12" x 20" Filter Canner

Sawmill next to sugarhouse solves my sugarwood problem

Gather with GMC 3500 2wd Pickup w/ 425 gallon Plastic Tank.

Been tapping here in Lyman NH since 1989 but I've been sugaring since 8 years old in 1968.

I use many DeWalt tools at work and the only time I've had issues with the batteries is when I've allowed them to be frozen at some point (like leaving them in my truck overnight). Have you tried a different charger just to confirm it's in fact the batteries that are the problem?

Default batteries

like bryanex said try a different charger first. you can rebuild them for about $20 your self but it is time consuming. there is a web site online that sells the cells that are inside the battery and they solder together in a serries. just searchit on google. i have an exta charger thats brand new if you wana pay the shipping you can have it.
    also if batteries get too clod or hot they wont take a charge till they get back to room temp.
    2x6 with blower and drop tube pan
    inside flu pre heater
    new homeade 20 gallon cone filter tank ss
    09 4x4 polaris ranger 110 gal tank
    2nd year on brand new ss pans
    16x12 sugarin house

Haynes Forest Products Guest

I throw about 5 batteries a year out and its frustrating as you said they seem to all die at the same time. A buddy paid $15 for a web site video on how to shock the batteries back to new BULL S&^%&%&t All I did was weld the contacts to the welder The older the battery the less freezing it will take I have alot of them and it seams they go weak after a few years and then its toast. Do you have the charger that has the yellow button that is supposed to restore the charging system? I was in wisc and a friend of a friend had a 2 18 volt drills in the boxes brand new for $100 apeice so I got the last 2 they had 2 batteries each with chargers so Im in good shape. They are the smaller of the 18 volt No hammer feature and the smaller batt but they kicked butt in the garage

Quote Originally Posted by Haynes Forest Products View Post
    how to shock the batteries back to new BULL S&^%&%&t All I did was weld the contacts to the welder
    If it is a lithium battery this is possible. For some reason you can draw down a lithium battery down beyond dead, and when put on the charger it will say the battery is defective. Best remedy to this is to "jump start" that battery with a fully charged one. + to + and - to - for a few seconds. This will put enough juice in it to let the charger recognize it is a good battery. We threw away the first battery that did this not knowing what we could do. The second battery that did this we learned this trick and have had to jump it three times now in two years. $65 lesson learned.

Having all the batteries doing this at once is a little suspect though.
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

thanks for the info. To clarify,

- They did not go dead all at once, it was over a period of 2 years.

- I have two chargers and they don''t work in either. The inticator light goes to a rapid flash mode

- One of the chargers has the yellow button, so I'm trying that now.

For the record, you can get the batteries cheaper by buying a package deal at Lowes or Home Despot. I got a skill saw, drill, charger and two batteries for less than buying just the battteries.
    2012: Probably 750 gravity taps and 50 buckets.

600 gal stainless milk tank.
    2 - 100 gallon stock tanks
    one 30 gal barrel
    50 buckets

3' x 10' Waterloo Raised Flue wood fired evaporator w/ open pans.

12" x 20" Filter Canner

Sawmill next to sugarhouse solves my sugarwood problem

Gather with GMC 3500 2wd Pickup w/ 425 gallon Plastic Tank.

Been tapping here in Lyman NH since 1989 but I've been sugaring since 8 years old in 1968.

Quote Originally Posted by PerryW View Post
    thanks for the info. To clarify,

- They did not go dead all at once, it was over a period of 2 years.

- I have two chargers and they don''t work in either. The inticator light goes to a rapid flash mode

- One of the chargers has the yellow button, so I'm trying that now.

For the record, you can get the batteries cheaper by buying a package deal at Lowes or Home Despot. I got a skill saw, drill, charger and two batteries for less than buying just the battteries.
    I've sent a few batteries to this place and have always had good luck. The only thing is by the time you pay for the repair and return postage: $40, and the postage to send it in the first place: $4.50 or so, your close to a new battery price any way. The only thing is the rebuilder uses replacement cells that have more capacity than the original, so you get more use per battery charge. I thought it was worth having them rebuilt because of the extended run time. Their website is: www.walkersbatteryrepair.com
    1,200 taps on USFS land, 3x8 King w/Steamaway. Lapierre RO.

I fianally got that web site to open after two months of trying.
    Last edited by KenWP; 03-01-2010 at 09:17 PM.
    maybe 50 taps for 2011
    Finally ready to boil when I get enough sap
    I just might be crazy.( make that I know I am)
    Trees all tapped except the ones with 5 feet of snow.
    Enough rabbits to keep Elmer busy..

Default buy Lithium

But if anyone is interested i have 6 or 7 ryobi 18v alkaline that are in various stages of charge , 2 were new last year. You pay the shipping and you can have them all and a copy of the plans to rebuild your own. I will only use lith batteries now my first one cost me $100 cdn plus the charger 3 years ago and it is just as strong as then. i bought 3 more and a 6battery charger on ebay this year. Once you use em the extra money seems trivial ..
    8000 taps, 12x4 Waterloo-Small wood fired converted over to Carlin 2 stage burning 13.1 gal/hr, 600 gal/hr Lapierre RO , 21 " and 100 cfm Vac... and sap

fixing your own batteries is easy to do. If you want to do it yourself just get on you tube's web site and search cordless drill battery fix. There you will visually be able to watch and learn how to fix your batteries. As long as you own a car battery charger. Simple enough and it works. Also, if you are getting a weak 12v battery, try opening up the caps on the top and putting a 1/4 tsp of epsom salt in each cell. This will clean the plates in the battery.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast