+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cloudy Syrup ??

Default Cloudy Syrup ??

I finished off 2.5 Gal of syrup today. Brought it up to 66 Brix, filtered using a cone filter with pre filter and when it was in the pan, it was clear. I brought it up to my kitchen and had all the bottles washed and dryed. When I brought the finish product back up to 180 deg. and started filling the bottles it was cloudy. The syrup that was not reheated stayed clear. Does someone have an idea what may have happened? This is a first for me. All my other years it stayed clear, but I didn't reheat it either.
    Maple Ridge Sugar House
    230 taps for 2016
    12 X 16 Sugar House.
    20 X 66 CDL Evaperator.
    A good Wife that enjoys collecting and working in the sugar house.

Quote Originally Posted by Maple Ridge View Post
    I finished off 2.5 Gal of syrup today. Brought it up to 66 Brix, filtered using a cone filter with pre filter and when it was in the pan, it was clear. I brought it up to my kitchen and had all the bottles washed and dryed. When I brought the finish product back up to 180 deg. and started filling the bottles it was cloudy. The syrup that was not reheated stayed clear. Does someone have an idea what may have happened? This is a first for me. All my other years it stayed clear, but I didn't reheat it either.
    I think niter got reintroduced while warming it back up, especially if you brought the temp up fast. Happens to me occasionally too.
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

Default too fast

i would say that you prob. reheated it too fast.
    2x6 with blower and drop tube pan
    inside flu pre heater
    new homeade 20 gallon cone filter tank ss
    09 4x4 polaris ranger 110 gal tank
    2nd year on brand new ss pans
    16x12 sugarin house

Haynes Forest Products Guest

What did you reheat it with? As Stated reheating something can be tricky. If you cranked the heat on high so there was boiling of the sap on the bottom of the pan but you cant see it that can cause it. Was the reheater making alot of noise as it heated

I think you all may be correct. I redid the batch by adding some raw sap and bring it back up to 66 Brix. After straining it again it became clear again. I think I did reintroduce niter back into the batch. I thought I lost the batch, but saved it. Nice looking light amber. Thank you all for your replies.
    Maple Ridge Sugar House
    230 taps for 2016
    12 X 16 Sugar House.
    20 X 66 CDL Evaperator.
    A good Wife that enjoys collecting and working in the sugar house.

+ Reply to Thread