+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: its official

Cool its official

i will be tapping tomarrow!!. by the looks of the ground and the big hole i dug the frost is out. the 40 taps i put in the other day were dripping good despite it bieng 30 degrees out, the pipline will be tapped monday i have the tees coming and have to install and tap. the total tap count should be around 200 or close to it. i hope this season pans out (no pun intended). everyone in the county is tapped and even seen some steam flying from a sugarhouse today!. good luck to everyone and keep us ohioans posted on how the saesons going... nate
    pine grove sugarhouse
    600 taps
    16x24 sugarhouse. not even close to finished...
    4x10 leader drop flue
    too much stuff to worry about

I am also tapping tomorrow. The weather was brutal today, but things look good for later in the week. Besides that my schedule tomorrow is wide open. I'll be putting out 50 taps with drop lines to plastic buckets.
    Gaining on experience
    High on Enthusiasm

Hope to actually be drawing off syrup tomorrow. I tapped last Saturday. Sweetened the pans Mon, Tues, and Wed nights. Sugar content only around 1.8% though.
    1000 taps on vac down to 100+ buckets 99% sugars
    2x5 SL Hi-Output Raised Flue Corsair evaporator
    SL Short bank press with CDL diaphragm pump
    Leader Micro 1 RO for 2024
    Constantly changing
    2010:36 gal 2011:126 gal 2012:81 gal 2013:248 gal 2014: 329.5 gal 2015:305 gal 2016:316 gal 2017:258 gal 2018:147 gal 2019:91 gal 2020:30 gal 2021:30 gal 2023:50 gal Total since 2010: 2047.5 gal
    Tapping the same trees my great, great and great grandfathers tapped.

From what I see on the weather and with all the snow around here I think next weekend is the best I can hope for. Today the neighbor said he would plow out the path to the woods for me. then we need to clean the evaporator and wash off the tanks that are buried in the snow.
    Lots of work to do this week and I also have collage classes to deal with.
    600 taps
    3'x8' Dellair evaporator

I finished my 3rd gallon last night. Kind of dark, probably a dark amber, haven't graded it yet, but I would say dark amber just by the looks of it. Going to boil down another 75 gallons tonight.
    130 taps on buckets
    20x32 Sugar shack
    27"x6' homemade flatpan and arch
    2005 Artic Cat 4x4
    several 55 gallon barrels
    16"x30" SS Propane Finishing unit
    16x16 Leader Canning unit
    2 homemade cone filters
    and an eye for used equipment

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bauersmaplefarm

I am tapping tomorrow, regardless. I have help coming, and can't wait any longer. It looks like a warmup coming next week, so may the big sap run!
    Jeff
    226 taps, 2X6 evap with homemade piggyback
    "Four Corners Farm"
    Jefferson, Ohio

Default Tapping today

I'm just south of Dayton, in Bellbrook, and I'm tapping today, weather be ****ed. I only have 3 sugar maples in my yard, I've never tried this before, but it sounded fun, so wish me luck.

Neighbor plowed me a path to the woods. Gee I wish I had a tractor like that!! He used a John Deere 7800 to plow it. However, they are calling for up to 6" more of this awful white stuff tonight and tomorrow, then more on tues. I feel like giving up on the year. WE also tried to clean the sugar house up today but when it came to running the power washer, there wasn't any place for the water to go. We use a french drain type system all around the sugarhouse but with the heavy snow piled around and the ice under that snow, there is just no place for the water to go. Hopefully by nest weekend we can do something out there.
    600 taps
    3'x8' Dellair evaporator

archangel_cpj Guest

Default Its nice to have a big tractor

I went out and plowed out our woods today I have an AC 7040 with a 8 foot blade the trick is to go backwards with it.....

I put about 100 up yesterdaySap was running some..Going to do some more this afternoon.The weather report says 39 on fri and 42 on sat.
    Loudonville,Ohio
    500 taps
    We do it the old fashioned way
    Buckets,Gather with horses,and a wood fired
    3X12 King evaporater

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast