+ Reply to Thread

Thread: RO vs. evaporator

Default RO vs. evaporator

My little sugaring hobby is turning into a Frankenstein monster, but a really fun monster. Last year I had 5 taps, this year there are 23. By next year I'll have graduated to evaporator level (such as a Dallaire 18"x48").
    But if the choice was either an evaporator or an RO, what would you advise?

It seems that with a decent RO, I could easily make gallons of syrup with a turkey fryer. So going hi-end on one end of the equation might allow me to go very low-end on the other. Maybe. Maybe not.

I think the maple-specific ROs are too big and too expensive, but I've seen some small grade ones on-line used for water filtering. Could they be used for sap?

Your thoughts are appreciated...

If you enjoy making maple syrup, like we all do, then you need to invest in an evaporator. You will make a lot of syrup on an evaporator.
    Even if you were to use a low tech RO, it would still take a tremendous amount of time to boil the concentrate down in a turkey fryer.
    To get to most bang for your buck, you need to get an evaporator, then when you get larger, you can graduate to an RO!
    Matt,
    500 taps for 2010
    30x8 Small Brothers lightning
    John Deere sap hauler
    3 brothers to share labor and expense
    4 children, and lots of friends to collect sap
    One not so understanding wife

trackerguy Guest

Here's my suggestion, which, in the long run, will save you lots of time and money.

First, count the number of trees you can tap. Count all trees in your neighborhood, plus all trees on your property, plus any trees your friends may own and allow you to tap. Count them all, even if they're a few miles away.

Divide your total number of possible trees by 5. that's how many GPH your RO will need to be within 5 years or so.

Divide your total number of trees by 125. that's how many square feet your evaporator will need to be, buy that size now, in 2 years you'll be saving for the RO.

Figure a budget of $20 per tree if you scrimp. If you have a wife, hopefully you can woo her with some maple craft items so you'll both be into it. If not, ask around for marriage counselers with experience in this area.

-Wes

trackerguy Guest

That post may be a bit small on the evaporator, maybe divide trees by more like 60 or 80 unless you like late nights in the sugarhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by trackerguy View Post
    Here's my suggestion, which, in the long run, will save you lots of time and money.

First, count the number of trees you can tap. Count all trees in your neighborhood, plus all trees on your property, plus any trees your friends may own and allow you to tap. Count them all, even if they're a few miles away.

Divide your total number of possible trees by 5. that's how many GPH your RO will need to be within 5 years or so.

Divide your total number of trees by 125. that's how many square feet your evaporator will need to be, buy that size now, in 2 years you'll be saving for the RO.

Figure a budget of $20 per tree if you scrimp. If you have a wife, hopefully you can woo her with some maple craft items so you'll both be into it. If not, ask around for marriage counselers with experience in this area.

-Wes
    Awesome advice.

Quote Originally Posted by trackerguy View Post
    That post may be a bit small on the evaporator, maybe divide trees by more like 60 or 80 unless you like late nights in the sugarhouse.
    I am thinking that number is not close either Tracker. For example I will have 800 taps out this year so if I divided that by 60 I would be looking at 13 + square feet. My 2x6 is 12 sf and it is way too small and I will be boiling nonstop with no sleep.
    2X6 deluxe Phanuef
    Adding 200 more every year
    27 years left of building a Hobby into a retirement time burner.

trackerguy Guest

3rdgen,

Sounds like you need that RO in front of your 2x6!

+ Reply to Thread