+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Record Keeping - how far do you go?

I don't think that this all that much work. I don't think it's that ridiculous to keep meticulous records. I have gone as far as to keep track of my records by putting them into an excel spreadsheet. Like Gerry said it only takes about 10-15 mintues to write everything down at the end of the day. Anything else you guys are using to track production? I would be curious. Thanks.

I worked for a large food company and we had to be able to trace everything down to taking DNA samples of every one of 150 000 sows. We could basically trace every pig killed back to where it was at any given time. Had to stop production a couple of times due to problems in places but at least we didn't have to stop everything due to knowing where the problem was.
    maybe 50 taps for 2011
    Finally ready to boil when I get enough sap
    I just might be crazy.( make that I know I am)
    Trees all tapped except the ones with 5 feet of snow.
    Enough rabbits to keep Elmer busy..

We basically write the dates and amount of production for each day of boil on a "plank" nailed to a support post. Dates back to 1980....I think.
    Bob- 4 x 12 Small Bros. Lightning w/raised flues-open pans
    20 x 40 sugarhouse, all tubing-main line to sugarhouse
    1400+- for 2011 & 100% vacuum
    Polaris 500 HO w/Tatou 4s Tracks
    1 Chocolate Lab from TEXAS

This is my first year at tapping...

My sugarshack is close to my house, and my wireless internet connection. It's quite nice because as I'm boiling I can check out the trader.

I plan on using Excel to record my data. Not yet sure what I'm going to record but now that I've spotted this thread I can get a general idea from you people.

What a great resource!
    Leader WSE 2x6 w/hoods
    12"x20" Mason Finisher
    250 taps.. Majority on tubing
    14'x20' sugarshack
    Kubota RTV900XT
    Home built Auto Drawoff
    Leader MicRO 2 RO
    www.mallardpondmaple.com

I'm a nut for wanting to know how things work. I'm hoping that by tracking data over the course of the season that I can find correlations between temperature, weather, sap flow and sugar percentage. Who knows? In the meantime, knowing the sugar content of the sap in my tank helps me to know how much more syrup I might be making.

I'm lucky enough that my home Wi-Fi extends out to the shack as well. I'm keeping all my data on a Google Docs spreadsheet. I'm loving it. That way I don't need to keep multiple copies or port the file around on a jump drive. Just log in to Google Docs, make changes and save. Then I can go in the house and the info's all there.

When the season's done, I'll put it all into graphs. Wait for it!
    Patrick

Wood fired barrel boiler and squirrel cage forced air
    Slowly warping plexi steam hood
    shiny selfmade copper pre-heater
    Fiddy something taps
    10x12 raised platform shack
    not enough coffee
    picked a bad year to give up ice cream

~~Maple Sugaring~~
    Occasional Creek Maple [+] On Facebook [+] On Twitter
    ~~~~Personal~~~~
    Shared pics [+] Best Imitation of Myself [+] On Facebook

I'm with 3rd gen maple here...as the saying goes" the road to hell is paved with good intention" I start the season wanting to keep track of sap gallons and content from 5 different bushes... wood used per gallon..boiled, stack temp, etc,etc but as I am primarily a one man band with 175 taps, I get overwhelmed.. This year my wife bought me a commercially availble ledger for producers, that make it easy to track the big stuff. I have wireless out at my S/H as well but would not dare bring my laptop out there... keys might get a little sticky.
    Mac
    CDL/Maple Pro 20 x 66 Raised Flue all S/S
    12 X 20 Finisher WF Mason
    270 Gal W F Mason S/S Holding tank
    12 x 16 Sugar House
    225 Taps Gravity
    Kubota B7510, LA302 Loader,,
    Stihl 036/ Lafonte Spiltter

Hey Clan,

Stop staring at your computer screen and get to work. Your sap pan needs some defoamer pronto or you will have a big mess.
    2012: Probably 750 gravity taps and 50 buckets.

600 gal stainless milk tank.
    2 - 100 gallon stock tanks
    one 30 gal barrel
    50 buckets

3' x 10' Waterloo Raised Flue wood fired evaporator w/ open pans.

12" x 20" Filter Canner

Sawmill next to sugarhouse solves my sugarwood problem

Gather with GMC 3500 2wd Pickup w/ 425 gallon Plastic Tank.

Been tapping here in Lyman NH since 1989 but I've been sugaring since 8 years old in 1968.

Haynes Forest Products Guest

I keep track of the head tanks that I use only because someone else started the count. Its not acurate BUT its a point of referance and what the heck. I also make note of all the syrup made. I hang a full bottle of syrup that we botttle from the middle of the season for color comparison. Im thinking of counting the cans in the recycle barrel and doing a beer to pop ratio to make sure we are all getting our daily imput of Grains To me its like owning a big tricked out truck and then keeping track of the gas you use WHY what would it change.

Coming from a manfacturing background, I guess record keeping and trying to find efficiency in the process is just second nature to me. I think if you keep the right records for your operation, then you can review those records and find defincies in your process. I know a lot of us are backyarders, but if you're selling and with profit margins being slim; sometimes a little efficiency goes a long way! Clan I am with you on doing some charts and graphs, granted I may be a nerd for doing it, but hey they do look cool!
    Last edited by Ace_R; 02-24-2010 at 10:35 AM.

Great just great now you guys got me wondering if my wifi will reach the sugarhouse. If I am messing around on the trader while I burn up my pans I am coming after you guys.
    2X6 deluxe Phanuef
    Adding 200 more every year
    27 years left of building a Hobby into a retirement time burner.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast