+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Red Roof Maples 2010

Pumped 600 gallons up to the SH yesterday and turned it into 16%. Going down shortly to check the tank in the woods. We got a frost last night so it should run good today. I would like to have 1000 plus so that I can boil for a while. At this point it is getting to be a pain to keep cleaning the filter press.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

michelle32 Guest

Russ niter sand here isn't as bad as last year by far. If you had the press last year you would have had to clean it half way through a boil.

Kieth the filter press that I have is one of the hand pump models. It has turned into a one man job just to keep that thing going all night. Richard runs the evaporator and I heat and press syrup. There is so much crap in the syrup that I can only get about 5 gallons through (2 draw offs) and have to change the papers to keep going.

On a lighter note I had 1025 gallons of sap to boil last night. Squeezed it to 16% and it was all gone in a little over 4 hours from the time that I lit the evaporator. Up to 40 gallons for the season so far.

I ordered a new NF270 membrane for my RO yesterday. Had it over-nighted so it should be here today. Can't wait to see what I get for flow rates with that compared to my hammered NF90.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

Default Sand

Russ - you sure all that vacuum isn't sucking sand out the root ball? Better put a transit out there and make sure the trees ain't sinking! Bruce
    Bruce Treat
    825 Sugar Maple Taps
    3/16 w/ DSD .225 Spiles
    H2O RO
    H2O 2.5 X 8
    Bow, New Hampshire

Russ, nice to see that you have sap. I was wondering how do you pump the syrup through the press and hold your beer at the same time? I could see where that would be a challenge. I hope we all get buried with sap this week.
    best outdoor syrup made in Maine...... loosing that title as we are moving indoors to a 12x16 sugar shack with a new to us 2x6 .
    Making syrup.

http://s724.photobucket.com/albums/ww248/TapME/

Deffinately can't drink a boiling soda and pump the filter press at the same time. I work up a good sweat though and pound the sodas when I can catch a break.

I could be sucking some sand through the root ball. None of the trees are leaning or sinking yet.

I've been getting sap every day since I tapped on 2/20. I even got a little on gravity when the power was out for 2.5 days last weekend. I've collected just under 3000 gallons so far.

My new NF270 membrane came this morning. Can't wait to get home from work and get it installed.
    Russ

michelle32 Guest

Russ you need to hook a pedal bike to the pump leaves the hands free for the other important things. ( like boiling sodas )

I used the wrong term Russ, sorry. It was surppose to be boiling soda in your hand you know the red type.
    best outdoor syrup made in Maine...... loosing that title as we are moving indoors to a 12x16 sugar shack with a new to us 2x6 .
    Making syrup.

http://s724.photobucket.com/albums/ww248/TapME/

holy cow I drink way to many sodas when I am boiling!!!!! even my wife is starting to notice a little she said something last night. I was in the sugar house and wasn't even boiling and came in with a soda in my hand and she said,"geez just going out to have a beer in the SH or what??!!!" I said not just a soda!!!!

I have gotten sap just about everyday since I tapped as well. out of commision with no power for 5 days hurt a little I don't know how much I got I lost track I am guessing somewhere around 1500-1700 gallons. but big sap today need to go boil!!!! can't have sodas yet have to wait til after lunch . but thermos of coffee is coming!!!
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

The RO is happy now. Getting much better flow rates with the new membrane and at much lower pressure than before. Really liking boiling concentrate in the mid teens. I have made 45 gallons of syrup so far but you wouldn't know it by looking at the wood pile.

The sap didn't run as good as I expected today. Got a good frost last night and had nice sun and temps near 50 but the buckets ran like they did the other day when it only got down to 29 overnight. The vacuum on the other hand produced over a gallon per tap again. Got 850 gallons from not quite 600 taps in 24 hours.
    Russ

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast