+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Im right on the edge

Hybrid View

archangel_cpj Guest

Default Im right on the edge

In NE OHIO and lookin to put out my 150 taps but boy the weather sure is questionable looks like maybe a few good days next week any advice I dont want to dry out too early....

no way for me . its a high of no higher than 24 until next monday . yesterday and today are gorgeous, and im sure their would be some vacuum release in the trees to shoot out sap, but then it shuts down for a week so no go .

last year i tapped on 3-2 . . and it looks like itll be close to that this year.
    good luck .

I put out my test bucket yesterday morning as it was too sunny for something not to be happening even though it is still really cold. Just over a quart ran yesterday and about a quart and a half today here in Russell. First back to back sunny days we've had in a long time. Seems promising but I agree, the temps don't look good for the next week so I am going to hold off on tapping until things crank up a notch. Pretty dogone close though. The cardinals are singing and the bluebirds are back. I wouldn't be able to get the tractor up in the woods to collect the buckets with this much snow anyway... Rob Morgan

Put out 48 taps today in Blacklick, OH (Franklin County). The sun peeked out for a couple of hours and got them running a little.
    Dave
    2x6 Patrick Phaneuf flat-pan
    Homemade float valve
    100 taps last year, hoping for 125 this year

Couldn't wait any longer and tapped today in Ashtabula County. All of my smaller trees (12-18") were running pretty hard on the south and east sides. Drilled 126 taps on gravity tubing and hung 29 buckets. I did not even expect any sap, just wanted to get tapped in case the weatherman is wrong about mid week. I was surprised at how hard some of them were running. Two more days like this and I may have enough to boil.
    1000 taps on vac down to 100+ buckets 99% sugars
    2x5 SL Hi-Output Raised Flue Corsair evaporator
    SL Short bank press with CDL diaphragm pump
    Leader Micro 1 RO for 2024
    Constantly changing
    2010:36 gal 2011:126 gal 2012:81 gal 2013:248 gal 2014: 329.5 gal 2015:305 gal 2016:316 gal 2017:258 gal 2018:147 gal 2019:91 gal 2020:30 gal 2021:30 gal 2023:50 gal Total since 2010: 2047.5 gal
    Tapping the same trees my great, great and great grandfathers tapped.

I couldn't tap even if I wanted to. The snow is to deep for my tractor to even get close to the end of my pump line, let alone go the extra 800 yards to the woods and then have to walk around in knee deep snow.
    Boy am I tired of Snow. I am sure hoping that we get some rain and it melts all this ugly white stuff. Unfortunatly they are calling for even more of it this week.
    600 taps
    3'x8' Dellair evaporator

+ Reply to Thread