+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long can you store sap?

jeffb Guest

Default How long can you store sap?

How long can you store sap before boiling and under what conditions are best?

How can you tell weather to boil it or pitch it?

Just a couple questions from a first timer.

Thanks,
    Jeff

I've storred it up to 2 weeks before. I always try to keep the sap cold and out of the sun or any light. I've noticed as sap does start to go bad it will get cloudy.

No real good answer as to how long you can keep it. There is so many factors. How cold it is, how clean the tank is, what part of the season it is and so on. You can extend the life buy circulating through a UV light (germicidal type) but like Jeff said it will start to get cloudier and cloudier. It can still be boiled if it is not to bad just will make a darker and stronger syrup. Basicly you shoul boil as fast as you can and kkep things clean.
    Keith

Jeff,

The colder you can keep it, the longer you can keep it. Also, you want to keep it and the storage container it is in out of any heat or sunlight.

The earlier in the season, the longer you can keep it. The later in the season, the shorter amount of time you can keep it.
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

jeffb Guest

Thanks everyone for your comments, they help.

Being able to boil only on the weekends, I just wanted to make sure what I collect through the week will be good.

I will keep it cool, out of the sun, and rotate the stock.

Thanks again,
    Jeff

Default cloudy sap

i boil it as fast as i get it, even if i just through a bunch of sap in the evaporator and bring it to a boil then leave it for a day of two will the next run.

I tried boiling cloudy sap once i had about 70 gallons that turned on me during a heat wave. I probably would not try and save it next time.
    It made syrup with bite.. not sure how to describe it, maybe a bit of a bitter taste. I made the whole batch into Fudge.. the fudge tasted normal.... it is a mazing how much fudge a guy can eat when he puts his mind to it.
    Homemade evaporator
    130 taps
    2 by 5 flat pan with divider.

here's a thought... you boil the sap as soon as you get it, then there is a lull in the sap production, your pans have sap/syrup in them boiled to a good sugar content, BUT you don't boil for a week, I know when theres that much sugar at that point it doesn't huet it much, but what about the syrup darkening? it still may get new bactria or microbes in it from sitting, I know the heat killed off what was in it... but??? I usually go 2 -3 days between boiling during the week but not on weekends, I know that short a time doesn't seem to effect it, but longer???
    Jim & Charlene Desjardins
    Belchertown MA.

Had a good 13 year run, but circumstances ! and loss of tree use.. we are ending the Maple thing for now... maybe be back in a few years

www.Desjardinsmaple.com

facebook Jim Desjardins

I had some set in the evaporator for close to 2 weeks last year as it got 60+ for 8 straight days down here the first 8 days of March. It was fine when I boiled it and it made good flavored Grade A Dark. I was nevervous as could be, but I was determined to hold out so I would know for sure. If you get the sap to boiling and boil it for a while, it is pastuerized and the bacteria should be killed. Always has worked for me in the past and last year confirmed it.

As far as sap storage, I usually only boil usually on Fri night and Sat only and maybe once during the week if the sap is running good. I normally don't have any problem holding it for several days to do this as I keep everything at the sugarhouse out of any and all sunlight and most of my tanks in the woods get almost no sun. I invested in a UV light this year and I run everything through it that comes into the sugarhouse. So far this has worked good as everything that I have made so far has been light!
    Brandon

24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

Depends a bit on how much sap you have, too.

With my very small operation, job, kid, and too many other commitments, I can only boil on weekends.. Since I only have 30 taps out, I usually don't have too too much sap to store, but it does add up.

What I have done in the past sometimes is to freeze sap in 2 or 3 gallon containers and use them as sap ice-cubes to help keep the sap in the storage tank cool.
    Since 1996
    30 on tubing, 6 on buckets, every step on snowshoes.....
    Leader Half Pint

See the photos of the madness at:
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...9&l=fab9dd46e2
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/2106531...7603340209209/

Dave,

That is a great idea and I have done it myself. I have some 9 quart aluminum sap buckets and they freeze quick and thaw around the outside quick and make nice manageable size chunks of ice. Don't do it much anymore, but would if I had too.
    Brandon

24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast