+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What happens to volume when season starts late?

Default What happens to volume when season starts late?

Right now the weather forecast has it in the 20s through February 20, 2009. The season is usually underway by Feb 15th, according to another member here.

What happens if the season starts March 1st?
    Will the trees bud at the usual time, thereby shortening the season by two weeks?
    Will production be, on a daily basis, the same or more?

Only mother nature can answer this question Frank. The weather is in control and we will not know till it happens. Any answer pretty much would be a big guess.
    2X6 deluxe Phanuef
    Adding 200 more every year
    27 years left of building a Hobby into a retirement time burner.

The 2008 season here started late and there was beaucoup snow. It was over real quick also as it got hot fast and the trees budded with 3 feet of snow on the ground. Feb 20 isn't to bad as long as it dosn't go to 80 degrees Feb 21.
    maybe 50 taps for 2011
    Finally ready to boil when I get enough sap
    I just might be crazy.( make that I know I am)
    Trees all tapped except the ones with 5 feet of snow.
    Enough rabbits to keep Elmer busy..

Default 09

My '09 season i never taped till Feb 25th...didn't have enought to boil till March 8th...done and cleaned up by March 29th. Even tho it seemed a late/short season, had a good produceing season.

As it's been said, all up to mother nature....injoy the ride..lol
    2018; 3 taps
    20"x24"syrup pan on blocks
    Turkey frier to finish.
    Western NH

I prefer a late starting season. That way you aren't tempted to tap too early.

As 3rdgenmaple said, you just can't predict it. There have been years that I haven't taken off syrup until Mar 30 and they still turned out okay.
    2012: Probably 750 gravity taps and 50 buckets.

600 gal stainless milk tank.
    2 - 100 gallon stock tanks
    one 30 gal barrel
    50 buckets

3' x 10' Waterloo Raised Flue wood fired evaporator w/ open pans.

12" x 20" Filter Canner

Sawmill next to sugarhouse solves my sugarwood problem

Gather with GMC 3500 2wd Pickup w/ 425 gallon Plastic Tank.

Been tapping here in Lyman NH since 1989 but I've been sugaring since 8 years old in 1968.

I prefer a late starting season. That way you aren't tempted to tap too early.

As 3rdgenmaple said, you just can't predict it. There have been years that I haven't taken off syrup until Mar 30 and the season still turned out good.
    2012: Probably 750 gravity taps and 50 buckets.

600 gal stainless milk tank.
    2 - 100 gallon stock tanks
    one 30 gal barrel
    50 buckets

3' x 10' Waterloo Raised Flue wood fired evaporator w/ open pans.

12" x 20" Filter Canner

Sawmill next to sugarhouse solves my sugarwood problem

Gather with GMC 3500 2wd Pickup w/ 425 gallon Plastic Tank.

Been tapping here in Lyman NH since 1989 but I've been sugaring since 8 years old in 1968.

Is there any info on the relative volumes?

In other words, if the temp stays low through March 1st and then you have 10 days of 45 in the day 25 at night, what is the volume for those 10 days relative to that same weather pattern occurring from Feb. 15 to Feb 25?

It all depends on what the weather is like when it starts. If the weather warms too fast the season is short. On the other hand if we have an extended freeze, thaw pattern it can be excellent. There is no formula to go by. The only thing is that the later it starts the less likely it will be a real long season. My earliest last boil was April 2 and my latest was April 24. There is no forcastable certainty about what we will get.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread