+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tapping in R.I. 2010

we are located right on the border of ri, and this past week has been horrible for runs. i collected 45 gals on monday and haven't collected since. we probably have about 20 gallons total to collect for tomorrow's boil. hope the weather changes this week!!

happy boiling!
    Our 20th year making syrup!

WF Mason 2x6 arch, leader WSE drop flue pans
    2013- 172 on gravity, 17 on buckets
    2014-200 on tubing, 17 on buckets.
    2015-? (still adding more)
    maple syrup makes me happy

Default Slow motion sapping

I feel like we are in slow motion this season. We boiled 310 gals last Sunday and 250 yesterday. We bottled 6.75 gals of Light yesterday finally! We haven't seen the sun in a week--hoping for better weather this week.

Default The sap has arrived!

With the 48F-50F temps yesterday the sap finally arrived... We collected 120gallons Sunday and 180 gallons last night. The REDS are at 1.6% and the SUGARS & NORWAYS are at 2%---we will boil 300 tonight. Next 5-7 days look good then a warm up next week...

Default The end is near...

Looks like a very short season... We boiled 180 Gals yesterday, which brings the season total to roughly 1090 gallons sap, poured off about 17+ gals, 3-4 in evaporator still. No sub freezing temps in sight for next 2 weeks... This could be our shortest season in the last 4 years. Only 2 weeks of boiling---

Angry

mike,
    I've been doing this for 14 years and this is by far the worst season ever. This will go in the books for sure.we have made 1/2 the amount of syrup as last year we even added 60 more buckets. I was really looking to push the new steam-a-way. We only boiled 41/2 hrs in anyone boil. Very disapointed.I pulled my buckets today time to clean things up and put away for next year.Hope to add more taps on tubing next year. One more thing my sap was at 1.3% to 1.9% this year.

Uncle Buck
    uncle bucks sugar house since 1996
    2x6 leader american drop flue
    air tight front with blower, uv light
    230 buckets 2010 stainless smoke stack
    and steamaway new 2011 175 taps on gravity

Default Done

Uncle Buck,

We pulled all taps yesterday--not much ran Sat & Sun even though we had a freeze...Some taps were wet & dripping but the next 10 days have no sugaring weather. We ended up with about 25 gals on 200-300 decent trees.
    We are adding about 50 more Sugar Maple taps next year and 100 Norways on tubing...
    Al from Fairgrounds Rd/West Kingston stopped by yesterday... he made 30 gals on about 400 taps... He has a Leader 2x8 and bought a new steamaway for this year.

We have 75% of the wood ready for 2011!!!

Mike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12