+ Reply to Thread
Page 92 of 119 FirstFirst ... 4272828384858687888990919293949596979899100101102112 ... LastLast

Thread: Introduce yourselves....

Hello Everyone

My name is Dustin and I'm from NE Iowa.

I've taken an interest to sugaring and have spent some time doing some research. I'm hoping next year is my first year.

I would like to make a barrel evaporator and I see there are quite a few good ideas, pictures etc. here. If anyone would like to pass along more information to me, I'd be interested in learning more.

I don't plan on too many taps my first year but having plenty of access to wood, it just makes sense to me vs. propane etc.

Thanks for the forum and everybody who has posted ideas, tips, pictures etc.

Dustin,

If you're not offended by the Ohio State Buckeyes here's a link to the North American Maple Syrup Producers Manual at the Ohio State bookstore. It was co-authored by Dr. Tim on this forum and several other experts. It's a very good source of Maple Syrup making information including most of the science, history and how to information. I just started this year and I've checked it out of the library near my home twice already.
    http://estore.osu-extension.org/prod...ls.cfm?sku=856

Dave

Hello everyone. I live in northwest New Jersey, and I hope to tap some trees next season. I went to a festival in PA when I was a kid, and the thought of sugaring has been on the back of my mind since. I am pursuing a property, and I would like to provide more natural foods for my family and friends. To have a more self sustainable lifestyle. My latest hobby or addiction has been chickens. I look forward to reviewing the vast knowledge on this site. Thanks, Johnny.

Welcome jbravo54!!

I am afraid to tell you that after your first season of sugaring that it will be your newest addiction. You've come to a great site lots of info and help are available here. Good luck to you on your first coming season!

SDdave
    It's not the size of the tree...it's what inside that counts!

Default New Member

Howdy everyone,
    I am from upstate New York, St. Lawrence County. Been messing around with sap for a couple of years and growing each year. I now have 80 acres of land with many maples just begging to be tapped and a 2 X 4 Hobby Leader Evaporator that can't wait to be broken in this winter. I have read everything there is about evaporators, tapping trees, boiling sap and making syrup but it is great for me to have you all as a resource to ask questions. I am in the process of insulating and re-bricking my arch, putting together my shack and stack. I made a bit of syrup last year with a propane 2 burner camp grill and steam pans. Looking forward to picking your brains this year .

Pete

100_2776.jpg

Default Hello from West Michigan

Hello Everyone,
    Love the site and have found tons of useful information. You guys and gals are a wonderful bunch of folks sharing years of experience and knowledge with such great family stories. Hope to learn much more and leave a legacy to my kids.

A few trees around yard to tap and 2 40's in the UP waiting to be tapped!

Thanks,
    Tom

Hey there everyone! My name is Ben and I'm located in central WI. I've been making syrup every year for most of my life helping family and friends until starting my own tubing setup with 400 taps 11 years ago and have been growing every year since. There is some good advice and many years of experince on this website and I'm excited to be a part of it.

Hi. My name is Jeff Brownell and this is a reintroduction for me. I started out with a few taps 10 years ago and moved up to around 300 in 2011 200 of them on vacuum. I run old leader 2x8 pans on a homemade arch with blower preheater and homemade auto drawoff. I've missed the last 2 years due to my oldest daughter becoming very ill with Lyme disease. She is now recovering and I am going to give mapling a try again but have an amazing amount of work to do. I would like to thank you all in advance for the knowlege you all share and hopfully you can help knock the rust off me.
    2021 230 Taps on vacuum
    Smokylake 2X6 pan set with auto drawoff
    Homebuilt 2 4x40 membrane RO
    Homebuilt filter press
    Rebuilt arch with under and over the fire air we have named V 2.0
    Smokylake steam bottler
    Hoods and preheater
    500 gallon vertical polytank to store sap for RO
    Adding a laser eye to my bottler for autofill/stop

Hello. My name is Mike, I am 39 and I'm from Bridgewater N.H. My wife and I bought a old (late 1700's) fixer upper house on just over 100 acres three years ago. I did not know anything about maple sugaring then. One day one of the contractors working on our roof asked me, if I had any maples on the property because we would have a great setup as all the land slopes into a pond right next to our house. So I found some maples and bought a few taps and one roll of tubing with 5 gallon buckets. My dad had an old flat pan that he gave me and I had a propane burner. After that season I was hooked.
    I plan on expanding every year as time and money allow.

I just want to say this site has been very informative to me and thanks to everyone
    Mike

12 x 16 Sugar house
    18”x72” CDL drop flue
    Homemade 4 post RO
    125 taps on vacuum (Guzzler)
    Smoky Lake 7” filter press

Default Hello from Ashby Massachusetts

Hi, I'm David, been on MapleTrader before, it's been a while and I forgot my password. My family and I are in an old colonial on 70 acres, there are old sugar maples around the house, and no where else on the property which makes me think they were brought in and planted, at least the ones on the old stage road, >200 year old trees, and then the bigger sugarbush is the down wind offspring of those old ones. We've got a pair of half pint evaporators and over a 100 taps we put out on tubing, and a bunch of buckets. We average about 20 gallons of finished syrup each year, it's a lot of fun and hard work. The kids get an understanding of what it takes to actually make something useful and of value. The funny thing is, by now they obviously know we can buy it in a store, but haven't asked the question I might have when I was a kid, "so why are we bustin' our butts out in the woods when we coulda just bought it at the store"?. I think they're real sugarmakers at this point, and they like driving the tractor. There's a lot of red maples further from the house, if we ever get a bigger evaporator I would tap those as well. We've even tried making birch syrup. Ya, we're still working on that one. Well, glad to be back on board, there's a great bunch of sugarmakers here. Cheers, DavidSB

+ Reply to Thread
Page 92 of 119 FirstFirst ... 4272828384858687888990919293949596979899100101102112 ... LastLast