+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 119 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819202122233363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Introduce yourselves....

Pete33Vt Guest

Welcome, you have come to the right place. There are alot of knowledgeable people on here and are willing to help out in anyway.If you are not sure on something just ask. You will find that you get more than one answer to your question. Then its a matter of using the answer that fits your needs.
    Again welcome Pete

Welcome Bonnie. Nice to see a fellow Yooper on the board. I don't know of a used evaporator but I have a bunch of used tubing and 7/16" plastic spouts you can have if you ever get near Gwinn, which is 100 miles away from you. Good luck.

Hi Bonnie, Welcome. It's a great site. You'll spend hours going through the posts. So much to learn.

Michigan is beautiful state. I use to spend my summers down in Tawas. I miss it often.
    2 x 6 Grimm raised flue for 2012 season. Rebuilding a 3 x 13 for 2013. 51 Ford 8N, St. Bernard, 30+ chickens.

http://s106.photobucket.com/albums/m257/cardigan99/

Bonnie,
    Welcome. Wow 10 acres of sugar bush should allow you many options. How many hard maple taps do you think you could put in there? careful about the size rig you start with. The hobby's is very addicting and your could end up trading up several times. New rigs are not cheap!
    Find some local sugar makers and visit them. Also selling your sap to them and helping them is a excellent way to learn the ropes. Getting the sap to a sugar house is over half of the battle!
    I have just the opposite problem, sugar house on 4 acres and no maples! We rent all of ours.
    Good luck,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

I agree chris,
    Bonnie you won't be happy till you have every tap possible out of your woods. So plan to build and buy acordingly. I have a small sugar house ( wish it was bigger) on 1 acre of land and rent my taps. I still have about 200 taps that I haven't yet tapped and am near my capacity unless I spend 6,000 - 15,000 on an R.O.
    Dream big.
    Ron
    600 taps
    3'x8' Dellair evaporator

Hi everybody, My name is Jason King, I live in Henderson Ny which is south of Watertown and north of Syracuse, next to Lake Ontario. I have been boiling sap for several years on a very small scale. In the past couple years I have been getting more serious to a point where two years ago I boiled in a large bulk tank skin. Built a stainless pan last year. I've been scavenging bits and pieces for this year. I am currently building a sugar shack to keep the neighbors warmer this year! I stumbled across your folk's web site and have been enjoying it ever since. It has become part of my daily ritual.

I just can't figure out why this is all so addictive?
    3x12 Leader
    19 x 40 sugar shack

Welcome blackstrapking,
    This site is a daily ritual for most of us. And for some (like myself) it is checked several times a day. To the point of obsecion. At least my wife thinks so.
    Ron
    600 taps
    3'x8' Dellair evaporator

HanginAround Guest

Welcome Blackstrap, always good to see new faces.

Feel free to jump in and post lots.

Welcome and even if my name is the same as you town I am not related. My mother was born in Clayton but she past a few ago. Henderson is some place that I always wanted to spend some time there but just never got around to it. I got a brother that will some be living at 3 Mile Bay when he retires at the end ot this month. He has spent all his free time for the last 4 years remodeling a summer home there into a year around home.
    Maple syrup makers never die, they just evaporate.

Kubota M-5040,Kubota B-2650,Kubota XRT 900, Sugarhouse is now a guest cottage.

Pete33Vt Guest

Welcome Blackstrapking, I take it from your name you make some good blackstrap syrup. Not alot of people like it, but I like to have a few gallons on hand for baking. As far as this addiction goes, there are alot of things that are really unhealthy for your to be addictied to. So it one you can enjoy and not get in (legal) trouble. (Wife) trouble is a whole other thing.
    Again welcome aboard and feel free to jump in and post.

Pete[/quote]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 119 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819202122233363113 ... LastLast