+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 119 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920213161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Introduce yourselves....

Default Introduce yourselves...

Greeting's everyone. I'm Steve and my father is Ron, and together we operate a backyard operation of 160 tap's. However, we did not start out with this size operation, so I'll start at the begining. Back in '85 we decided to tap 12 tree's of a neighbor's with the 12 steel spile's my mother had purchased year's before. We hung plastic milk jug's on them and they were alway's running over by the time we could gather them. Occasionally, throughout Jr. High and High School, my mother would let me play hooky to boil sap if we had a good run. That first year we boiled on a cement block fireplace with a small cast iron pot and a large aluminum frying pan. We soon learned that this was not the best boiling set up. We also learned that a roaring fire will melt the handle off an aluminum frying pan. And without a handle to pick it up off the fire with, the small amount of syrup that was in the pan burn's to a crisp! The following year my mother let us use her oval shaped roasting pan's. They worked better and we were pretty happy. Mother, on the other hand, was not too happy after seeing the condition of her pan's at the end of the season. My father had a pan made for the following year. It was about 1.5'x2' and that worked well. Over the next two year's we added two more fireplace's and pan's and increased the number of tap's to 55. It was quite a site in the back yard! We collected sap with milk can's in the trunk of a brown and white 1975 AMC Hornet. As you can imagine, this was quite a site too. Due to college and work taking up a lot of time, we had to call it quit's on the syrup making in '89. We had a lot of fun making syrup and we said that somtime we would do it again. Fast forward to 2002. I was laid off from work and just by chance, my mother and I saw a homemade evaporator that was for sale. It needed a lot of work to make it an efficient boiler, so I decided to pass on it. But my mother insisted that I go back and look it over. I'm pretty good at welding and fabricating so she was certain I could make it work. I did buy it after a lot of argueing with myself. It was pretty much just a big steel box with two flat stainless pan's. That first spring, I fire bricked it and got a smokestack on it. Over the last couple of year's, I've welded partition's in the front pan and put ten flue's in the rear pan. The proper fitting's and valve's were also added. I plumbed a furnace blower into the ash box and welded an a small overhead tank to it so we could gravity feed the rear pan. We are real pleased with it's performance and it's a huge step up from our three block fireplace's and pan's! My father and I made 42 gallon's of syrup this year. We have access to more tree's so we could make more syrup, but we would have to either invest in a larger evaporator or a R.O. Every minute of our spare time now is spent boiling our 160 tap's. Does this dilema sound familiar? Time will tell but were alway's thinking "bigger". Unfortunately, my mother passed away in 2002 but I am thankful for her "insistance" on getting back to sugaring. It truly is an addiction! Now I can't imagine springtime without making syrup! I also can't imagine life without the Mapletrader! This is a great website. Goodluck everyone in 2007!

Steve
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

Pete33Vt Guest

Welcome aboard, It sounds like your start in sugaring is a colorful one with alot of memories.Hope all goes well for you in the future. This site is amazing and will really help you. Everyone here is great.
    Pete

Welcome aboard Steve bucket head. Sounds like you are hooked for good now. I live in Oneida, just 20 minutes down the road from you. Sometime we should get together and exchange ideas. Do you have a sugarhouse yet? It keeps getting deeper and deeper, this maple addiction, great isn't it!
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Thank's guy's. I'm happy to be aboard. I have spent hour's in front of this computer reading the forum's. What an incredible wealth of information! Keep it coming!!
    Maple Flat's- Your right, we are hooked. I would love to see your operation some time. Getting together sometime is a great idea. I will e-mail you and we can set up a time. To answer your question, no we do not have a saphouse. But we need one! I made a removable "roof" out of tin roofing material that we can cover the evaporator with when it rain's. It has leg's that slide into pocket's on the side's of the rig. Rain does not really bother us, it's the wind that we can't stop! Someday we'll be inside. I'll talk to you later.

Steve
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

HanginAround Guest

Hi, been lurking a bit here in the past, so thought I better sign up. I'm not a maple producer, but my dad sells maple supplies, my uncle and cuz have a 12,000 tap op, another uncle makes maple related electronics, I help a friend with his 100 taps, and my fam has been in the business for generations. Oh yeah, I know a dozen other producers too. Sooo... I don't feel out of place in the sugarwoods I would like to have a hobby operation for myself, and that might take place sometime in the next few yrs, but not right away.

Great to have new folks involved in the Maple hobby. Steve nice write up on your early sugar making!
    Hanging Around, I am sure you could teach us some things. If you have been hangin with sugar makers then its bound to rub off.

Northwest PA
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Welcome HanginAround, you need a shorter nickname, like Hangin or HA. We will likely learn a lot from you. We need new ideas and new blood always spurs new ideas. You have found a great place to sit down, put your feet up and just talk sugarin.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

HanginAround Guest

Thanks for the welcome. Several people in on-line games and other forums call me Hangin or Hang as I've been using the nick for years. Not sure how much you could learn from me, most likely the other way around.

I didn't put many details in the first post, so here... I'm 41, temporarily unemployed Network Tech (computers). I live in southeast New Brunswick (geez where's all the rest of the producers from the Maritimes?). My dad has a maple supply business which I give him a hand at often. He sells Lapierre/Waterloo/Small as well as glass, etc. My uncle has two sugarwoods, one is 11,000 taps and one is 1000 (much closer to the city, so more for show/retail). Another uncle owns Ystec Electronics (www.ystec.com). And my name is Pete, and I think I'm becoming a mapleholic.

Default Bit by the bug

Todd here. Been looking at the posts on this site for most of the summer. Figured it was time to hop in. I live around the corner from the AMC lodge in Alexandria NH with my wife and son. (She's amused. He's too young to haul buckets.) Started with 15 taps this last season. Boiled down on the grill. Close to a gallon all said and done. (gone before June). Hope to tap 100 or so for next season if I can rig up a decent evaporator. Like the looks of the oil tank types. The real thing is out of reach for the moment.

Thanks for the great site guys.

PS Kim, thanks for your understanding.
    2 x 6 Grimm raised flue for 2012 season. Rebuilding a 3 x 13 for 2013. 51 Ford 8N, St. Bernard, 30+ chickens.

http://s106.photobucket.com/albums/m257/cardigan99/

Welcome to the site Todd. Most of us started out small just as you have done. Its an addiction.
    Maple syrup makers never die, they just evaporate.

Kubota M-5040,Kubota B-2650,Kubota XRT 900, Sugarhouse is now a guest cottage.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 119 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920213161111 ... LastLast