+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Greetings

Hybrid View

Haynes Forest Products Guest

buck this spring when we are in the heat of the battle give me a call and take a quick trip up to DOOR COUNTY about 65 miles to Jacksonport will get you over to 3 operations and you can still get home with time to boil.

buckandlindahein Guest

Thank you Birdman. Nice to feel welcome.

The cost of a small evaporator is about that of the propane you will buy cooking down a lot on two fryers. You got to get away from the fryers!!! I did that for two long myself. If you can, skip the beginners size evaporator!!! I'v been stuck on one of them for two long. If your going to do this year to year and i'm shure you will. Get a 2x6!!!!!
    100 taps
    Percheron draft horses
    Back out side and to small of
    an evaporator!

buckandlindahein Guest

equity, lots, cash on hand, not so much. I guess I'd rather walk than run at first. At this point, this is a novelty for me...but darn, it's fun and I'm a little competitive...want to do twice as much every year as the previous.

Skip the walk!!!! Sap dosn't walk, IT RUNS, and when it runs so will you have too!!! IF your going for twice as much that means four fryers. You'll go through your eguity in propan. Your going to want a 2x6 and you remember I said so!!!!
    100 taps
    Percheron draft horses
    an evaporator!

buckandlindahein Guest

Gator:
    thank you for your input. You are right, and I know that. I can aford an evaporator....I just don't know how they work. And until I do, I can't make an inteligent decision on what size, tpee, and if it's worth it. Right now, it's a game for me...making more than I did last year.

Don't worry to much about how they work, very simple sap go's in one end pushs its way though by density. By the time it gets to the draw off and boils a bit there, it comes out syrup. Your just there to feed it sap and wood and watch the temp of the syrup and draw it off. It will work so nice you will love it. A hydromiter to mesure the brix of your syrup, a cup and a skimmer and a few other little tools and your in heaven making syrup. I have a small evaporator, worked way to hard making 20 gallons last year lots of long nights boiling. If you can't get wood a fuel oil arch is the way to go. When your done hit the switch, with wood you may have to really flood the pan to allow for cool down. You'll find it all under the evaporator threads. If your going to get one up and running this year you have your work cut out for you but it can be done. You make 16 gallons on a fryer this year and you'll be ready for 32 next year. Because you'll have a evaportaor for shure.
    100 taps
    Percheron draft horses
    an evaporator!

I am in the same boat as Buck was going to go to 20 to 30 taps , will probably stay close to 20 and use propane because funds don't allow
    anything more. Have to put on an inlaw apartment for my mother in law. There goes my evaporator, but she has always been good to us over the years so you have to do what you have to do. You got to take care of family first no real regrets

Family sure does come first and is very respectable. I just wonder if you can charge her a little rent, you know enough to cover the expense of an evaporator
    2X6 deluxe Phanuef
    Adding 200 more every year
    27 years left of building a Hobby into a retirement time burner.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12