+ Reply to Thread

Thread: transplant

Default transplant

Greeting all , I am relocating from chardon , oh to sistersville Wv . We have a 600 tap with a 3x12 dalliare with 300 ro and vacuum in ohio. I have a few test tapps out but the trees are not awake it appears. In chardon syrup is march , i think here in wv it will be feburary . Any thoughts about th e trees not running ? The ground is wet and the temps have been pretty good .....

Tx ED

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Oaks look like Maples in WV Dont go looking in the end of the mainline

I wish that tapping a oak was the issue but we painted every maple with a green circle .
    Sweetcreek Sugarworks
    3x12 dalliare & hoods & preheater
    300 ro & vacuum
    Ls 4 wheel Drive 58 horse
    kabota 4 wheel drive 20 horse
    lt50 woodmizer saw mill
    36x40 sugar area

Jax Guest

Welcome to the WV! I live just north of you outside of Wheeling. My smaller maples just started flowing yesterday and my bigger ones are slowly waking up. It seems to take about a week of good temps for everything to thaw, and it's been a week ago today (Thursday) that the temps started to trend up.

Yes, I think February is the most productive time. This is only my second year, but last year we were done by mid-March and I started about the 2nd week of February. By the end of March we generally are constantly above freezing. This area from Columbus east to Pittsburgh tends to have weird weather because we're just on the edge of the lake effect region.

Tx so much Jax ,

I did a lot of climate research before we bought this woods but until you begin the work you never really know what are the true conditions. In ohio we have a terrific maple syrup assocation and many old times to talk to but here we are the only operation for many miles .... been at this for about 20 years but it is real scary to pull stakes and start a new opp in a unknow location ..... this is the web site for the chardon opp we will build the new sugarhouse here (Lord willing ) this summer

Ed
    Sweetcreek Sugarworks
    300 ro & vacuum
    lt50 woodmizer saw mill
    36x40 sugar area

swtcrk.com
    Sweetcreek Sugarworks
    300 ro & vacuum
    lt50 woodmizer saw mill
    36x40 sugar area

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Howell View Post
    Greeting all , I am relocating from chardon , oh to sistersville Wv . We have a 600 tap with a 3x12 dalliare with 300 ro and vacuum in ohio. I have a few test tapps out but the trees are not awake it appears. In chardon syrup is march , i think here in wv it will be feburary . Any thoughts about th e trees not running ? The ground is wet and the temps have been pretty good .....

Tx ED
    Ed,

I think it is too early yet. Conditions haven't been very favourable for a sap run Larry Harris who is a member on here and lives in Poca not too far from you taps his trees in Grassy Meadows which is about 1/2 way between Beckley and Lewisburg off of the Dawson exit of I-64. He and his brother and other partner put in 150 taps last Wed or Thurs and only got 200 gallons of sap in a week. Too early yet, but I would guess where you are it may be an ealier start. Not sure the weather or climate would be as condusive to sugaring, but need to check it out a little more. My season usually runs from Feb 10th to around March 21st.
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

Ed,

I checked out Atlas and my apologies. I was thinking of Sissonville instead of Sistersville. I would think you are in a very good climate area too make syrup, it is just too early. Give it another 2 to 3 weeks and it should start to happen. My best weeks in a normal year are last week of Feb and first 2 weeks of March with first 2 weeks of March the best two weeks in a normal year.
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

Default tapping time

Brandon ,
    Again many tx for all the info about the syrup season in this area.
    The trees are different here than in ohio , this area is much dryer than the snow belt next to lake erie. We get upwards of 150 inches of snow and
    frog stanglers (2 to 4 inch )of rain in a afternoon in the chardon area .

I will not miss tapping in knee to thigh deep snow . The 2 to 4 inch covering here in Sistersville is cake

May your tapps runn 6 %

Ed
    Sweetcreek Sugarworks
    300 ro & vacuum
    lt50 woodmizer saw mill
    36x40 sugar area

+ Reply to Thread