+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 2x4 evap ideas .... see pic and blueprint pics !

ok . heres an update . hes forming the 4x8 pan as i write this. .. a brake press that can handle up to 1/2" stainless ?!?! now thats angry !
    good thing my pans only 14 gauge .

anyways , heres the blueprints i sent him .
    i want matching 1/2 threaded holes and a 1/4 NPT for a thermometer 3" away from the draw off holes.
    also, i asked for the same holes on the opposite corner of the pan so then i can grab the preheater pan , flip it around and put it on the other side of the big pan and reverse the flow . badabing !

i think the BEST cutout would be 2" away from where the divider is welded on the side wall , and be 3"x3" square . that way he can weld the ENTIRE end of the divider onto the sidewall . those TRIANGLES on the dividers pictured wont be very strong since theres only a little weld on the top holding it up .

i have so many requests im probably driving the welder nuts. heh .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by WoodButcher; 01-21-2010 at 08:12 PM.

The thermometer was from Grainger. The float arm is flat with a bend on the front of it where the threaded rod attaches.
    Dave Kauffman
    16th. year
    Clarksville, Michigan

hes building my pan this week to the specs in my last post. i think i covered all the design ideas i need .
    Last edited by WoodButcher; 01-28-2010 at 03:37 AM.

progress......... just need to put in the threaded ports and done .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by WoodButcher; 01-28-2010 at 03:37 AM.

Default same here

im eventually going to make my own evaportor and i had the same idea and blueprints just my evaporator will be longer
    120 taps and tees on gravity and vac
    5 sap sacs
    and about 34 buckets and bottels
    a lovely dog molly who helps tap the trees with me
    homemade evaporator
    and stuff yupp
    im down with the maple sickness man

Sweet pan. Miller lite time! Time for a Victory beer.
    Last edited by Stickey; 01-28-2010 at 06:44 AM. Reason: spelling
    29 taps
    Block arch
    21"BY33" Home made pan
    2.85 year old helper "snap" gatherer and PITA deer chasing dog.
    No Chickens (of my own)http://picasaweb.google.com/Stickey6...eat=directlink

Stickey , your from NH .... Smuttynose pale ale for me please ! !

picking up pan today . 450$ out the door for 2'x4'x7" pan , 2 dividers (3 sections total), 2-1/2"draw offs on opposite corners, 2-1/4" npt holes for thermometers on opposite corners, 2 handles on big pan, 2 -1/2" stainless ball valves, 1'x2'x8" high preheater pan that slides from one end of evap pan to the other.

thats not too shabby . he says that when you lay the pan on a flat kitchen table, one of the corners will not lay perfectly flat. but i guess he said its so slight that if you put the weight of 2 textbooks on the corners itll flatten out. i guess thatll be ok right?
    he said when he was welding the dividers on the pan's bottom it must have 'pulled' the pan a bit .
    its going to be clamped on all 4 corners anyhow when on the arch .

leak tested and said everything is fine . not the shiniest pan from the pic but oh well .

it will propably lay down with sap in it - it may not
    i would give it a test boil with water and see what putting heat to it does
    our 24x33 two divider pan would go "boing" jusst about the time you didn't want to put your finger in the water. one corner always tweeked a little- used a ruler to check how deep the sap was to stay safe an find the high spots that needed to be covered
    this is also a good way to get the hot water to clean the pan before the good stuff goes in

i just talked to him again for reinforcement and he said the pan corner has a slight lift , or dog ear to it . he said the bottom of the pan is perfectly flat.

in fact, when he flipped the pan over to check to see if the bottom is level, the dog ear flattened out on its own. i made sure he realized that the pan would be suspended on its own , aside from the 1.5" angle iron its resting on . he said the middle is totally fine.

again , its like laying a piece of paper on the table, and grabbing a small dog ear of a corner and lifting it up a tad.

i dont have time to test a boil in the parking lot im meeting him in . so ill just have to check for quality of construction , welds, etc, and hope for the best. besides, anything funky can always be fixed with a welder and some mild fabrication . ....
    im just a worry wart....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast