+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 23 drips in 10 sec

Default 23 drips in 10 sec

Ok

Here is a question I have wanted to ask but have not known where to until I was told about this page. I have one tree that is putting out 23 drips in 10 sec and then one not 20 feet from it not dripping one drop. Same type of tree, same size, tapped on the same side, same height and both are getting the same amount of sun. My question is. Why is one running and the other is not?

Tim Wagoner
    T&K Farms
    340 taps 160 on line 180 on buckets and jugs
    Lapierre 2X8 with homemade steam preheater hood
    Zerro Milk storage tank with UV light
    www.tk-farms.com

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Wagoner View Post
    Ok

Here is a question I have wanted to ask but have not known where to until I was told about this page. I have one tree that is putting out 23 drips in 10 sec and then one not 20 feet from it not dripping one drop. Same type of tree, same size, tapped on the same side, same height and both are getting the same amount of sun. My question is. Why is one running and the other is not?
    Could be a couple of different things.

1. Are both maple? (just kidding).
    2. Maybe you tapped into an area of stained wood in the 2nd tree
    3. Under gravity, most of the sap is coming down by gravity from above the taphole. It will run when the ice that was there thaws enough that there is an open pathway above the taphole. This is sort of like a dam. There will be no pressure at all, then suddenly the ice dam melts and pressure spikes upward to the maximum level. Over time, as the sap runs out, the pressure will drop off. So what you're comparing might be just before the dam breaks to just after the dam breaks. Big difference.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I learned from another member on here awhile ago when you got one tree that runs like crazy and then one next to it doesn't you by mistake tapped a jack maple. It does not give you jack I actually have a couple that are nice and healthy and they just don't produce well at all. I am stubborn and always stick a tap in them and I get the same results jack @$%&. I think I will just give up on them this year.
    2X6 deluxe Phanuef
    Adding 200 more every year
    27 years left of building a Hobby into a retirement time burner.

I have 3 of those jack maples(love that one)..right in a row ones before and after produce like crazy these 3 jack. don't know why either.
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

Check the same trees in full leaf this spring/early summer. See if they are the same vigor. Test the sap sugar too. I had one tree on buckets a few years ago that always overflowed the bucket when the others had less than half. The sugar proved to be way low for some reason.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

mine look great in the summer. we'll see this year maybe it was just last year who knows right!!
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

I really have no idea the crowns on my jack maple look real good in the summer. Never hit any bad spots tapping them either. All I know is 5 years in a row they maybe yeild a cup of sap to every full bucket on the trees next to them. I think I will tap them with the chainsaw this spring and let the young trees growing close to them get a fighting chance. Hate to do it but heck jack don't make syrup but will heat the house.
    2X6 deluxe Phanuef
    Adding 200 more every year
    27 years left of building a Hobby into a retirement time burner.

I tapped lots last year that never gave jack either. The biggest sugar I have never gave a cup of sap all season. I cut down a bunch of cedars this summer to see if being in the shade was the problem. A lot of my trees were crowded out by cedars and spruce. I had to just fell a few this fall as I had no time to cut them up and hope the extra sun helps.
    maybe 50 taps for 2011
    Finally ready to boil when I get enough sap
    I just might be crazy.( make that I know I am)
    Trees all tapped except the ones with 5 feet of snow.
    Enough rabbits to keep Elmer busy..

23 drops in ten seconds! WOW! That's better than 8 liters in ten hours.

Wink

Liters? Are you from Ohio, or Canada?
    Matt,
    500 taps for 2010
    30x8 Small Brothers lightning
    John Deere sap hauler
    3 brothers to share labor and expense
    4 children, and lots of friends to collect sap
    One not so understanding wife

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast