+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: rpm trees

the last few weeks the tree has grown alot, Ill get some pictures of it this week probably. and get some like in fall time too.
    Nate, 17 years old

300 buckets on a leader 2x4 flat pan in 07'
    1200 taps on gravity for 08'
    1900 taps in 09' 1650 on vac
    1700 taps on vac 50 buckets 10'
    Shooting for 2500 on vac in 11'
    3x10 Grimm Evaporator for 11'
    Stihl Ms390
    Stihl FarmBoss 028
    Stihl Ms170
    Stihl 009

Website-www.caseyssugarhouse.com AND
    http://maplebs.caseyssugarhouse.com

Photobucket-http://s374.photobucket.com/albums/o...ssugarshack93/
    Youtube-http://www.youtube.com/user/Caseyssugarshack

Mine is doing well, also. I have it planted in the same row as three regular sweet trees planted the year before. It's about the same height as the others that are doing well, but with a thicker stalk. All have great leaf coverage.
    Tim Whitens
    Willow Creek Farm
    Fulton, NY

3000 on vacuum, 3hp 3ph Busch pump, 2567 Gast
    30X8 Leader oil-fired evap. w/ steamaway
    Airablo 1000 RO
    6 Alpacas

In reality we should all plant some regardless of our age. If we are too old, it should be for the next generations.
    Consider why there are so many fully mature roadside sugars thru new England and much of the northeast, it is because back in Ben Franklin's time he pushed for the country to become sugar independent, and a payment was made (by the US gov't , might have even started before the start of the US) for planting the trees. This is where many of these trees came from. I'm sure many others were just the dominate tree in the mature forests of the day and others were removed for firewood while the sugars grew.
    We should now plant for the future. The same as in my case where I work my forest stewardship plan with goals of a sustainable forest for generations after I am no longer making syrup on this earth but my operation above will have everything and every season will be perfect.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Buffalo Creek,

Try calling Karl Evans, 330-583-2892 a call. He is a maple dealer in NE Ohio. I was at his seminar last month. They talked about the RPM trees. The local producers pool together and purchase the trees. He should be straight with you as to how they grow.
    136 on high vacuum for 2019
    A&A 2X8, raised flue evaporator
    hood, parallel flow pre heater and air over fire
    12X28 sugar shack

We've planted some red maples, and I'm thinking of planting an Acer Freemani cross as an ornamental. Has anyone tried them for sugaring? They are a cross between a red and a silver and are supposed to be tough as nails for a street tree and turn a nice red in the fall.

http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/p....asp?code=C789
    Last edited by Revi; 05-26-2010 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Add link to tree.
    325 taps
    2x6 Phaneuf
    Illegitimati non carborundum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISbkO-NKA9o

Default RPM trees

Since RPM maples are toted as a super high growth rate, I wonder if the life expectancy is shorter?

If they cost 22.50, better keep the deer away, one good night (for the deer) and the trees will be gone!
    Duane Gomish / Nicktown, PA / Cambria County
    (70 miles east of Pittsburgh)

20 buckets- first year (2010)
    30 buckets-2011
    home built arch, 18X36 pan

There are silver maple trees that are tissue cultured (identical genetics) from St. Lawrence nurseries. Said to run 3-5% sugar content. tappable in 10 years grow in wet areas well. Cost is $22.00 each or $15.00 for 100 or more trees.
    trees are one year old because farmer has trouble removing trees when they are any older.

where is st lawrence nursery?

Potsdam NY. Google them. The maples are not listed on the internet list

Talked to a guy in Potsdam and just like that I have 50 super sweet maples coming this fall. $22.50 a piece.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast