+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sugarhouse Building Plans

Default Sugarhouse Building Plans

I am planning to build a Sugaring house this summer. I would like to know if anyone would like to share ideas with me for a building to house a small machine, tanks, storage and work area for a small type operation. Any information, plans or pictures would be great, thanks.

syrupmaker Guest

I would recomend looking at a couple different set ups in your area. Then you can incorporate the ideas that you liked into your operation.

Rick

Always go bigger than what you think you will need. The space seems to vanish. Go to mapleman 3's web site and he has pictures of set up's from all over the North East.

Chris
    Chris
    18 X 20 sugar shack
    1300 taps all on vac.
    2 by 8 Lapierre all stanless evaporator
    Steam Hood
    Lapierre 250 Turbo R.O.
    Polaris Ranger
    30 years experience

Bascom's has a Sugarhouse Designs booklet -- about $5, I think. In there are about 3 different designs you might use to get some ideas about what you want to do. The best info was about all the things to consider -- e.g., access to sugarbush, access to water/electric, fuel source proximity, and much more. My only complaint was that the copy quality is pretty poor.

Greg
    Trout Brook Sugarhouse
    & Alpacas
    Patrick Phaneuf 2x8; CDL RO
    12'x16' Sugarhouse
    ~1000 Taps on tubing and vacuum

9 Alpacas

http://www.troutbrooksugarhouse.com/

Maple Flats Guest

Designs are out there, another source is in the North American Maple Producer's Manual which really helped me that first year. Answers most questions about producing maple. A good reference.
    As for me I went 16 x 24 for a 2 x 6 evap but with the footers for the evap designed to accomodate 2 x 6 thru 3 x 8 (to go larger the evap would need more footers. The evap should be supported to footers below frost line in your area so the evap does not shift. After deciding what size you want to design for draw out some plans for counter space, canner, container storage, kitchen?, and maybe wood storage, don't crowd yourself and remember you most likely will have visitors and you don't want it too tight for safety. Some of these may be in another building or an addition. I was told by my dealer that you want to keep about 4 - 5' space each side of the evap if yours draws off both sides, if not the non draw side can be less. Be sure to design enough work space for now and as you grow. The building can be enlarged in the future if designed to accomodate such but it is always easier to build it big enough in the beginning. It seems to add customer appeal if you design something with a traditional sugarhouse style if you can (personal opinion). It is a real good idea to visit some sugarhouses and use what you like, maybe taking ideas from several.
    I would as well as I'm sure most others on this forum be glad to show you what we have and what we wish we had done differently.

+ Reply to Thread