+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: When is it too early to tap?

gmarvin Guest

Thanks for the information. We did about 65 to 1 last year. We started Feb 1 last year as well and that was late as we had to be out of town earlier. The season was over for us about March 3. Lost sap in buckets as the weather warmed so quickly and stayed warm, we could not boil off fast enough. At that point the sap had lost so much sugar we ran about 85 to 1.

Default Januaary Thaw

I feel behind allready with the weather in the 30's for the last few days and I have no trees tapped....

I think it's safe to say that if you drill a hole in a tree and get no sap it's to early to tap.
    maybe 50 taps for 2011
    Finally ready to boil when I get enough sap
    I just might be crazy.( make that I know I am)
    Trees all tapped except the ones with 5 feet of snow.
    Enough rabbits to keep Elmer busy..

Quote Originally Posted by KenWP View Post
    I think it's safe to say that if you drill a hole in a tree and get no sap it's to early to tap.
    In our neck of the woods if the month ends in "Y" it's too early to tap!
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

That could be May some years I remember out west.
    maybe 50 taps for 2011
    Finally ready to boil when I get enough sap
    I just might be crazy.( make that I know I am)
    Trees all tapped except the ones with 5 feet of snow.
    Enough rabbits to keep Elmer busy..

June may be too soon for me this year. Today my neighbour agreed to let me tap her bush. Going to add 200 - 250 more taps.

What have I done. The panelling in the sugar shack is not done. The pans are out in the snow. No pipeline, no wire, no tanks, no releasers.

I hope I see a different face in the morning when I shave. That couldn't have me that took that on.

I say it's too early to tap if you are not ready to boil. For me it's too early. I'm farther behind this year than I have ever been. Today I will be walking and fixing my main woods. I have many side ties that failed over the winter. I must have used the wrong wire. This year I will use galvinized for the side ties because what I used last year rusted and broke in several locations. I had used non galvinized rebar tie wire from a bunch of spools I had for years. Big mistake!
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Default We made 7 half pints

We went ahead and tried the preliminary boil, experimental boil, reduce the fever boil... what ever it is called, and boiled down about 35 gallons and produced 7 half pints. The sugar content must be low and the sap did not run very well the last half of last week. But I did learn alot! Especially not to rush the season. The syrup is good and it is alot darker than our first batch last year. I think maybe it is the low sugar ratio and that required us to boil longer. Now that it is out of my system for January, I'll relax and watch the temps for the next month.
    Question: should we pull the 15 taps that are in now or leave them in for the next boil? I think the temps are going back to freezing day and night so the sap should not spoil. right?

ASG

Early runs will be low sugar normally. Since the damage is done to the tree, leave the taps in for the season. It is always fun to do that first run!
    Jeff Emerson
    www.emersonsmaplehill.com
    3x12 Leader with over air, custom piggyback, 600gph CDL RO
    2500 on 25" vacuum
    350 4 wheeler, 500 snowmobile, and 1950's Ford 600 tractor, Husqvarna! (261, 372xpBigBore, 562xp), Stihl MS193 for in tree work

Won't be long it will be running again and the sugar content should rise significantly for you.
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345