+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New guy here from CT!

Loun Guest

Default New guy here from CT!

Hey everyone, I have been checking out the forum for a little bit and wanted to finally introduce myself. I have talked with a few of you already through ebay auctions, craigslist auctions, and calling on some shops for supplies.

I plan on 45-50 taps, 25 on buckets and 20-25 tubed up in Northwestern CT. This will be my first attempt at doing this so hopefully it goes well. The goal was 5-6 gallons of syrup, maybe some candy we will see...

Right now I have NOTHING but some trees however

"In the mail":
    2x3 Stainless Pan
    Stainless Preheater
    Hydrometer Cup
    25 Aluminum Buckets
    25 Health Taps
    25 Taps and T's for Tubes

Things I Still Need:
    Tubing
    Storage for 3 days worth of sap (im guessing 130 gallons?)
    Cinder Blocks and Bricks for homemade arch
    Candy Thermometer
    Hydrometer

Id love suggestions on the storage. Im thinking either new trash cans or 55 gallon drums with a liner or bag in them. Other than that I think im all set and ready to go! Im sure I will have some questions though so bear with me as I learn. Thanks everyone!

-Lou

if you search craigslist there is a guy by hartford ct that has used food grade 55 gallon barrels for sale I think the ad was from the begining of December I still have his email at home if you can't find it.

Welcome to the trader it is a great place aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh something to heat the sap up to a boil
    and sometimes when we're up early or late - a cracked sense of humour
    good luck, have fun

Loun Guest

Thanks for the welcomes. I will check more into the storage tanks this week. Its getting warmer and warmer..

-Lou

275 gallon totes are availible to me at 60$
    metal cage w/ apoly tank inside w a drawoff valve in the bottom and and a 5 inch cap on top. just make sure what the contents were previous. all ours were water soluble and we tripple rinse w/ 180* hot water
    Mike

Loun Guest

I talked to someone up in western mass that was trying to move one of these tanks. I would love to get my hands on one but I dont know if I have anything I could truck it in to get it to CT. Where in NY are you? How big "physically" are these? If I could move it id buy it 1 of those would be all that I need.

Default tank

Mike I could use one of those and I am in CT too. What was in them and are they food grade.

Nathan

I use these tanks to collect move and store sap in. One person could lift one into a truck. There used in every corner of the world there should be some place that has them near you. Check with the local farm store. Often used in milk sanitery supply, food use and about any thing else. The last one I got still had juice in it, one time use and I got it for 25.00 That isn't often that happens.
    100 taps
    Percheron draft horses
    Back out side and to small of
    an evaporator!

Haynes Forest Products Guest

There about 50"x50"x50" and when empty the are light as can be. When I went to get mine the lady picked it up and had it on the trailer before I could help. Whats nice is the cage is great for strapping down and easy to handle. You will need to use a rubber coupler to get the thing down to smaller plumbing but thats easy.
    Last edited by Haynes Forest Products; 01-21-2010 at 09:25 AM.

hey Loun.
    welcome. This is my 2nd season. I'm down in Southern CT (Ansonia). In West Haven, Cosmo Foods has 50-55 gal plastic food barrels for 7.00 each.
    I have one for sap storage and another I cut and I'm going to invert the top section and attach a filter and secure it down w/ the ring.
    12 taps for 2009.
    30+ for 2010.
    30+ for 2011.
    2012- Still holding around 30+ with no help in sight.
    2013-Still a loner but what a Fantastic yielding year
    2014- Forever a loner
    2017-Still here, after trying to kick the habit.
    Down to 15-20 taps with the intent to save my marriage.

Sap Haulers- Kids NADA, I tried but I'm on my own.
    Buckets and Sap Saks, 4 steam pans, Block Evaporator, and single burner propane for finishing.

http://s778.photobucket.com/home/Valleyman_bucket

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast