+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 21213141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: January Journal

In anticipation of the 2 plus inches of rain coming in today. I got a roof on the sugarhouse! Wahoo!. Unfortunately, the evaporator is still in the driveway under a tarp. Darn.
    Really odd weather for NH. Going to get above freezing almost everyday this week. I still don't think its tapping time yet though.
    30x40 Sugarhouse
    975 taps here at home. Still have 3-400 to add in.
    3x10 Cabin by the Creek evap with "steamaway"
    CDL 600 RO
    ebayed Sogevac S65

Wink

We just went through that weather this past week and it is odd for us as well. I do not feel its time to tap either.

Congrast on your sugerhouse, now you can work on it in any weather.
    3rd generation maple producer
    3x10 Lightning Small Brothers (on natural gas)with piggyback
    Still need more taps, 1100 on vacuum
    A 24' x24' sugarhouse (2011)too small(2012)
    Homemade Finishing and Bottling Equipment (on natural gas)
    Brother to Brother operation with plenty
    of family and friends support
    Still expanding, new sugar house being planned for 2018

It has been odd weather for the north east. Your right about it not being time to tap as well. We could freeze up again and not see a run till into March, Should be good and sweet by then. Good to her you have a roof. Now get that 2x6 you grabed out from under my nose under it!!!
    100 taps
    Percheron draft horses
    Back out side and to small of
    an evaporator!

It's pouring rain right now. Poured rain off and on all day today. Finally got the roof of the house free of snow so I can do the chimney. Like to do it around the first of January but am a tad late this year. The last three dasy felt like tapping weather but supposed to be -20 by friday so me thinks not. Hopefull the ground dosn't freeze solid not that the snows been melted off in places.
    I am hopeing to get the evaporator done by Sunday and then see how she works the next weekend and go from there. The weather forecast says Feb is supposed to be cold.
    maybe 50 taps for 2011
    Finally ready to boil when I get enough sap
    I just might be crazy.( make that I know I am)
    Trees all tapped except the ones with 5 feet of snow.
    Enough rabbits to keep Elmer busy..

Drove through ice yesterday in the Berkshires, lots of accidents, and am dealing with flooding now. My two sugarbushes by the creek could be tapped from a boat right now! Adding more taps tomorrow!

We got mixes of rain and other stuff for 3 days. Hung 1300 feet of mainling and a few laterals. I was happy for the warmer weather. Only a couple inches of snow in the bush. I can see half the fields of alfalfa. Gotta get the bush work done so I can get back into the sugar shack. Easier to work in there when it freezing and blowing.

bulled and jammed and pushed/pulled/ com a longed a 1000 gal metal framed tank way up into the woods all by my self, pretty proud of my self allthough the first day i wrenched my back some kinda hard but i worked that tank over the next day and got it in the shed, not bad for a one man army with a 20 foot tow strat and a 5 foot comalong
    Dan O'Shaughnessy

2007 jd5203
    Husqvarna 61, (2)Husqvarna 272XP, 23 and finally getting back into it after 2 long years away

DanO

Danno ...if you put down some planks (use pine thay are lighter) it will slide nicely on them. you just need to keep moving them. but it sucks when you slide off them. and take it easy on your back man..I try to do things smarter not harder and usually end up stupider after but my back doesn't hurt...only sometimes when I get frustrated and I say the heck with it and just pick it up.
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

I just checked my test trees and I did tap 5 trees. in about 40 ft radius maybe bigger all reds. don't have that many sugars want to save them for the "right " time.

Tree 1= 1%
    tree 2 = .75%
    tree 3 = 2.1 %
    tree 4 = 2%
    tree 5 = 1.75%
    total 2.5 gallons sap

average = 1.52% or 56 gallons sap per gallon syrup...hope it comes up a bit!!!!

all had similar amount of sap about 1/2 gallon between yesterday and today.
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

picking up my order that i put down from rick marsh at the farm show today, also ordered some main line from leader at the last minute and some main fittings, brings this weeks wallet damage to 764.79. good god that hurts considering i dont work to earn money in the winter because im busy getting the sugarwoods ready. i sold 3 5 gal drums of syrup for 450 which help off set that but man o man my bank account is down to 179 OUCH thats gas money for a little while. theres a girl who really likes me but i told her i dont have any money i can spend on her right now and in about 2 or 3 weeks i will have 0 time to spend with her unless she wants to hang out in the sugar house, and with her being the next town over about 30 min away and not having her own car and just her permit i dont think she will be in the sugar house any time soon. i gotta cut some more wood, i cut about as much as i had last year and if i had a good season last year i would have run out. that and im adding 114 taps and putting 500 and some thing on vacuum this year. still running my old 3x8 with 4ft flue and 4ft syrup pan, man im going to be screwed bad when we get a BIG SAP run. might be calling in "sick" to school a little more this year
    Dan O'Shaughnessy

2007 jd5203
    Husqvarna 61, (2)Husqvarna 272XP, 23 and finally getting back into it after 2 long years away

DanO

+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 21213141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast