+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Sap Collection Sled

With a pole for both, just the pole is a little diffrent at the end. Go from runner to runner with something sold I would use steel with a brace V shaped to the pole the tractor pole will have an end you can drop a pin in and will pull the sled forward and hold the sled back. For horses the pole only hold the sled back. They pull with the tugs on there harness.
    100 taps
    Percheron draft horses
    Back out side and to small of
    an evaporator!

You need to have a way of hooking that will prevent the sled from over running you if you stop fast or are going down hill. With the horses it is a pole that is held up by the neck yoke. It serves to steer the sled as the horses turn (the longer the runners, The harder it turns) and it holds the sled back by transferring forward pressure on the pole to the Breech strap around the horses back end, thus enabling to "hold back" the load. With a tractor you would need a regular tongue.

Or what Doug said.
    100 taps
    Percheron draft horses
    Back out side and to small of
    an evaporator!

I grew up my whole life in a Mennonite community but there were only a couple of familys of actualy Amish the rest just never had radios and TVs. There are a few French Mennonites here but few and no Amish. Ontario has a big Amish community. I get hell every time I bring up the horse eating bit. Actually not many horses here maybe they all got eaten.
    maybe 50 taps for 2011
    Finally ready to boil when I get enough sap
    I just might be crazy.( make that I know I am)
    Trees all tapped except the ones with 5 feet of snow.
    Enough rabbits to keep Elmer busy..

Alright guys, here's my progress on the sap sled so far. The runners are white ash and are about 2" wide and 3" tall. The cross beams are hackberry and are 3" by 3" square. That should be plenty strong enough to support all the sap I'll ever have access to. When done, the sled will be 64 1/2" long and 38" wide. The wheels on my tractor are about 70" apart so maybe the sled will track directly behind the tractor and not fall into the tire ruts, but we'll see. I'm not holding my breath. The other question in my mind is whether the width of the runners will be adequate to support up to 800 pounds of sap. Guess time will tell. I still need to put the deck boards on, some side supports, a tongue, and the runner protection. I know iron is traditional for runner protection, but I was thinking I might try splitting some heavy duty PVC pipe lengthwise, heating it up so it's pliable and molding it to the bottom of the runners. IF it works it should be more slick than iron, lighter, and still have fairly good wear resistance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Homemade 2X4 w/Flat Pan
    50 taps....but always looking to expand
    Mostly box elders with a scattering of red, silver, & sugar maples
    Allis Chalmers C & Homemade Sap Sled

Looks very nice and very well thought out. Let us know how it works!
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

Looks Good! The runners should be lots strong. Ash is a traditional runner wood. With a runner the weight is spread across the entire length so you limit the stress. Runners usually break from turning or twisting. The idea of plastic shoes sounds good. Like the polyslick floors they put in trucks and manure spreaders. Added advantage would be it will not freeze down as hard between uses (this problem can also be limited by throwing a stick down and pulling one runner up on it when you park).

Will PVC pipe stay pliable when cold or does it shatter. I like puck board or even a kids crazy carpet for plastic bottoms on a sled.
    Last edited by KenWP; 01-03-2010 at 05:08 PM.
    maybe 50 taps for 2011

Quote Originally Posted by KenWP View Post
    Will PVC pipe stay pliable when cold or does it shatter. I like puck board or even a kids crazy carpet for plastic bottoms on a sled.
    Good question Ken. I guess we'll find out. What exactly is a kid's crazy carpet? And by puck board do you mean the plexiglass they use to keep the puck from flying into the stands or is it something different?
    Homemade 2X4 w/Flat Pan
    50 taps....but always looking to expand
    Mostly box elders with a scattering of red, silver, & sugar maples
    Allis Chalmers C & Homemade Sap Sled

Puck board is the white plastic sheeting they line the rinks with. A crazy carpet is those cheap plastic sheets of plastic kids use that roll up. The puckboard will take so much abuse its not funny. I have used truck loads of it to line the walls in pig barns.
    maybe 50 taps for 2011

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast