+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flat Pan vs. Divided Pan

Hybrid View

Default Flat Pan vs. Divided Pan

I am in search of a new pan and have read back through all the old posts regarding flat vs. divivded, pro's and con's, for a very small producer, 15-18 taps is my max. at my location. I guess my question would be is that enough taps to take advantage of the pro's of a divided pan? Better syrup, etc. than batch. My concern is I wont have enough sap per boil to utilize the divided pan as intended, if I understand correctly that it is never completely empty until the season is over. Thoughts? I guess a small 2x3 divided pan could always just be used as a batch pan if not enough sap.....
    Thanks gentlemen.

In your situation my preference would be a simple flat pan. I don't think you're going to see any real added benefit from a divided pan because as you said, you may have trouble getting enough sap to run it as it is intended. And don't think that a flat pan will resign you to all dark syrup. There are plenty of guys that have made very light syrup in a flat pan, especially at the beginning of the season. Also, a flat pan is likely to be less expensive than a divided pan if you're having it welded up, although probably not significantly.
    Homemade 2X4 w/Flat Pan
    50 taps....but always looking to expand
    Mostly box elders with a scattering of red, silver, & sugar maples
    Allis Chalmers C & Homemade Sap Sled

I agree with Mr. Wilcox. You won't have enough sap to take advantage of the dividers. We used small flat pans for years and we made all grades of syrup. Yes, more dark than the other grades, but it was still good! The pans on our current evap. were both flat pans originally. We used them for two years like that and made all the grades also.

Steve
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

Haynes Forest Products Guest

IF and that is IF your having the pan made having the divider WONT hurt. It will allow for expansion and will make for a stronger pan. I would also count on the fact that you will get bigger some day and will then want to add to the rig. Make it the last pan you want. Dont think that because your small that you cant act big get it right and have fun. And put in a drawoff valve

One more thing when neighbors see how much fun your having they will be offering to bring you sap for syrup so be carful how you answer and remember its like having a swimming pool in the back yard you become the neighborhood day care

Thanks for the input gentlemen, we made very tasty syrup in a lasagna pan last year, the darker batch stuff tastes better anyway IMO. We don't sell, just use or give away. And Haynes, I may be the only guy on here that won't get any bigger than they say as I'm already stealing use of my neighbors trees!

JFH51 Guest

Default Flat pan vs. divided pan

Sap seeker I am in the same situation, about 15 taps. I typically only boil weekends. I run a 19 x 32 pan and make nice light syrup. I have a preheater pan mounted on my arch that brings in the sap at 190 to 210 degrees. I feed in constantly and maintain a constant boil all day. I have a 12 x12 propane fired finish pan, I empty the big pan when I have all my sap processed and the level is down to about 1 in.

Quote Originally Posted by JFH51 View Post
    Sap seeker I am in the same situation, about 15 taps. I typically only boil weekends. I run a 19 x 32 pan and make nice light syrup. I have a preheater pan mounted on my arch that brings in the sap at 190 to 210 degrees. I feed in constantly and maintain a constant boil all day. I have a 12 x12 propane fired finish pan, I empty the big pan when I have all my sap processed and the level is down to about 1 in.

Real similar for sure. Does anybody know if its possible to take a s.s. stock pot, drill a hole, and add a valve to it that doesn't leak?

Default valve

Sapseeker
    Do a search for beer making supplies. They make just that kind of valve for ss pots.
    Gaining on experience
    High on Enthusiasm

So lets see your name is SAP SEEKERMMMMMMMMMMMMMM you do know that your neighbors have neighbors that have neighbors. Some people are drug tolerant but sooner or later

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast