+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Another Tubing Tool

Curved jaw Vice grips are most common in 10" and 7" size. Which size is used to build tubing tools?

Followup- for the benefit of anyone else seeking the same information.... The 5WR size of the curved jaw vice grip works well for the tubing tool I made using the OP's plans. The Pruno website is where I found the answer to the vice grip size question.

I built the tool for use with 3/16 tubing, using 5/16 coupling nuts for the tubing gripper. The geometry of the plans is good. Rather than cutting and rewelding the handle parts, I heated the 3/16 X 1" flat steel bar with an acetylene torch and bent the steel to the final shape.
    Last edited by deepwoods; 03-15-2021 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Update

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle LaPorte View Post
    So you don’t have any threads left inside the couplings
    When you drill out the long nuts you only drill half way in from the end facing the other long nut. That way the threads grip the tubing, while the fitting barb can fit into the larger half of the long nuts. I might also be a good idea to grind off a little extra from the cut surfaces where the long nuts were cut in half. That allows more adjustment to get a good grip. Also suggested you use a round file to "blunt" the remaining threads in the long nuts so you don't nick the tubing, giving it a place to fail.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234